What's new

Injectors + engine noise

TheJamMod

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Fahad went through some diagnostic tests and found that three of the injectors were way off centre. Injector ONE was fine.
There are no engine codes.
MPG seems fine.
The car feels quick so no loss of power.
Only done 60K

The engine is nosier which amplifies into the cabin when stationary.

The question is: do I need to replace three of them? I think the injectors are leaking fumes which I had mistaken for the manifold.

I think I'd PM Fahad and ask him. He's a helpful guy and hopefully he's still got the data for your car.

Hi Dharmesh,

from memory your injectors were within tolerance of +/- 5mg but out from point zero by a couple of mg.

Unless it's presenting a problem, i would leave it really. It's just something to keep an eye on and be aware of in case you run in to future difficulties and want to start looking for possible causes, especially as most garages won't have access to a HDS, it's good to know what the Honda tool has actually read.

Unless your injectors are leaking, then the off calibration won't be causing fumes.

I know you said Honda checked and confrmed your manifold is ok, but I definitely smelt fumes that night and if it's not your manifold, then I'd suggest you whip off your engine cover and look for soot marks around the injectors to see if there's any evidence of leakage.

Hi Dharmesh,

from memory your injectors were within tolerance of +/- 5mg but out from point zero by a couple of mg.

Unless it's presenting a problem, i would leave it really. It's just something to keep an eye on and be aware of in case you run in to future difficulties and want to start looking for possible causes, especially as most garages won't have access to a HDS, it's good to know what the Honda tool has actually read.

Unless your injectors are leaking, then the off calibration won't be causing fumes.

I know you said Honda checked and confrmed your manifold is ok, but I definitely smelt fumes that night and if it's not your manifold, then I'd suggest you whip off your engine cover and look for soot marks around the injectors to see if there's any evidence of leakage.

A few weeks ago (before remap) the fumes were leaking from somewhere. I sniffed under the bonnet and it stank of fumes. It was pretty unbearable; I was certain that the manifold was cracked. Since the remap, I've only sniffed fumes once - when I put my foot down. It could possibly be that freeing the EGR has solved this particular issue.

I will whip off the cover and have a mooch around the injectors during the holidays.

I agree with you that it's not worth investigating until I run into problems, but would like to get to the bottom of the engine noise transmitting into the cabin when stationary. Wonder if it's the DMF?

It's all good fun, Fahad. :)

Could be EGR related but really everything including the exhaust, vacum and injector system should be sealed so no fumes should ever escape.. if you can smell fumes, then they must be coming from somewhere mate.

It wouldn't be the first time Honda have misdiagnosed a cracked manifold.