What's new

Inlet manifold removal failure!

f2raf

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
My first attempt, failed miserably. You know things are going to go wrong when the first thing you do is break the plastic puller on the dipstick. Managed to remove the metal hose on the front, where the EGR is blocked via a metal plate. Took the caps of the glow plugs and injectors, and the bolts to remove the cabling but got stuck on removing all the cabling, it's housed in plastic bits which are a pain to come apart. The cabling runs down the left and up on the right, without removing it I won't be able to remove the fuel pipes. So 60 mins into the job and after 1 hour later I out it all back together. Best left to a mechanic I guess.
Another problem I had was one of the bolts where the metal hose attaches at the bottom came right out of the bottom section instead of the nut coming off, some corrosion around the nut hence.
Ive searched and searched but cannot find any videos at all which show step by step process in removing all the parts to remove the inlet manifold.

Ah not good. But wise move to give up and reassemble if you recognise it's outside your competency.

Let a decent garage do it.

Fahad, you are right, it is a job too big for me so best to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing with it, rather than messing it up.
I actually have a replacement manifold which I bought of ebay and cleaned throughly last weekend, so just needs swopping over.

Imran I did this and it took hours to do. You have to really be patient with it all and plenty of penetrating fluid on the bolts prior.

If your not up to it then do give it to a garage but if you have the heart then take it on. Obviously all DIY repairs are at your own risk.

Thanks Honda Guy, I actually don't mind doing it, I'm brave enough to have a go, but I get stuck when I don't know where to start dismantling cable guides etc, if I had some instructions would make it far easier. looks like I actually have to take all the cable running guides bolts etc off to completely remove it, it's a real pain just to remove a manifold.

It's not difficult, but you do need to remove the injector feed lines and then the fuel rail to get access to all the manifold bolts.

The important bit is getting those back on the right places and tightening evenly, then checking for leaks when you re-install everything.

The fuel pipes I can remove, but its the black rail above it which has teh cables on it which plug into the injectos & glow plugs, i can unplug all 4 from the injectors & all 4 from the glow plugs and the 2 bolts holding this to the manifold, but then what? becase it has a cable running down to the left which is embdeed in casing and bolted on and some cabling running to the right again all clipped in. This is the early stage i am stuck at.

Anyhow a mechanic mate of mine has agreed to help me when he gets some time in a couple of weeks.

There's no need to remove it. It's the fuel rail you need to shift to get the manifold out.

You can undo the wiring on the front of the motor and flip the whole section of loom out the way if you want to.

(My replacement motor when it arrived, for a better view)

Loads of pics in the manifold cleaning DIY thread.
The electrics can stay in place.

OMG I've just seen the pictures in the manifold thread, that black cable rail doesn't need to be moved at all, I was all hung up about it and gave up. Right I'll give this another bash. Should I use copper grease on the bolts when putting them back

Nothing wrong with a bit of copper grease.