What's new

Installed: Dice / AudioVox MediaBridge for USB Audio + Bluetooth

JakeDaPeg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Executive 2.4 2005
I got the MediaBridge installed today adding USB and BlueTooth audio plus handsfree calling to my CL9:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170918651066?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The installation itself went as easy as it could be, there's only one plug to stick in the back of the satnav / CD changer unit. It just takes 2 hours to strip it down and rebuild the dash to get to that one plug...

I used the universal bible for the desctructions of course:
http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?***le=Install_Xcarlink_in_2007_Accord

When it came to plugging the unit in, mine differed slightly from the Xcarlink (or my car is slightly different). This is what my dash looks like:

On the back of the nav / audio unit I had this one empty white plug so in it went:

If you already have a plug in that hole the cable supplied with the unit had an extra bit to receive it, so you won't lose any other inputs.

I put the little MediaBridge box in the glovebox, passing the cables down the slot that's already there. It was a bit tight so I opened up a gap at the base of that slot with a Stanley knife. Now it sits comfortably on the right of the box, easy to get at but out of the way:

As far as using it goes it gets a little fiddly to begin with. This is mainly because there's things it can do that Honda didn't allow for 2005, so there's no button for all the features / options. This just means learning which button does what, but once you've paired your phone and started your music playing you probably won't mess with it much. Driving the music from your phone is easiest but you can use the steering wheel controls too.

MP3 audio quality is equal to a regular audio CD written from those same MP3 files, this is great because I avoided the Xcarlink and Grom Audio due to negative comments about that. Volume level plays the same switching from CD to MP3, output volume is adjustable anyway. Bluetooth phone calls are as good / bad as they ever are.

Switching the car on it links up the the phone immediately and continues playing where you left off. This is what you'd expect but some MP3 adaptors seem to struggle with this. All around I'm a very happy bunny. I didn't have any spare screws left and lost only a little skin off the knuckles.

That's the only upgrade I wanted for my car so it's now finished after 3 weeks of ownership. I'll update this post with any foibles / problems that occur over the next few months. :)

Nice install mate, what sort of quality you finding with the bluetooth?

Bluetooth audio sounds exactly as it should. Using my big Bose headphones for reference the car audio via Bluetooth sounds even better, the Bose have always seemed a bit flat to my ears anyway. The headphones plugged into my iPhone 5 and the car via Bluetooth is certainly not losing anything.

I'm currently listening to Rudimental's album Home which has a lot of female vocals with occasional violins plus a whole lot of drum 'n' bass to boot. It's a good test of the range and clarity for any system and the MediaBridge picks up all the details very nicely.

You can plug your iPod / iPhone directly into the MediaBridge's USB port, instead of a USB stick. It'll charge you up while you're driving apparently, I haven't tested it myself.

One other thing I wanted to mention: The compatibility list on the eBay link above and on the packaging only goes up to about iPhone 4. I'm on iPhone 5s and it works perfectly before and after updating the firmware on the box. It only took a minute to do the update (plug it into your computer with a little USB cable - not supplied), you have to register with the manufacturer to get the download.

There were 3 updates last year and 2 so far this year so they seem to be making an effort to keep it current :D

Hi

I just came across this piece of kit.

Can I ask - do you get a list of tracks on the nav screen and are you able to scroll through which one you want to listen to?

Any chance you could take a photo of the interface? The one in the US uses XM or satellite or whatever it is and they get track information etc...

Thanks

darcus

No track or what-so-ever information related to the content of the USB is displayed on Euro Accord 7th Gen, except Disc and Track numbers.
If you want such option, that will not work for USB anyway, but phones and tablets, you need to get a hardware that gives you the option to mirror the screen of the device (phone, tablet) on your Navi Display, which is extermely expensive. Mind that you will not be able to use the Touch on the screen, just View.