What's new

Intermediate functionality of heated seats

ExpandWeiner

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2004
Both the driver and passenger seat has an odd issue. When set to HI, the seats seem to randomly go from not working to some heat to lots of heat, seemingly whenever it wants, but never stays on for long and take a while to even have anything happen. Sometimes 5+ minutes to get ANY heat, let alone full heat. The LO settings might as well be a second off state, as it's useless. Really annoying thing to have happen on a freezing morning when sitting down on freezing leather. Is this a problem with the switch or a loose connection in the seats?

The Lo setting is lukewarm at best you'd want to run on Hi.Once temperature is reached they switch off automatically and come back on when temperature drops.
Now i have had an issue with mine which i semi fixed.My passenger seat works fine but driver not so much prolly down to more use/abuse over the years.I removed it earlier this month stripped it down and found i had a broken wire within the seat portion element.I repaired it and refitted to car....it now works on Lo but still wont work on Hi.
I will get to the bottom of it when i get the time but i would look to the heating element first.The switch takes little strain unlike a wiper or light switch as during summer its off and winter most will leave it on.
The wire within my seat that had snapped was located right at the front of the seat where it curved round at the front,clearly a spot with high stress.

Btw a properly functioning seat should be toasty warm within 4/5 mins on a cold morn

It would be very useful to see a guide on how to take apart the seat and to know where to look. Please do update us :)

It would be very useful to see a guide on how to take apart the seat and to know where to look. Please do update us :)
Haha maybe i will...i need to remove it again to investigate why Hi doesn't work.Easy to get the seat out the car (makes life easier) 4 bolts to remove that secure it to floor and 2 wiring harnesses to seperate under seat then you can ease it out.
There after its a case of carefully stripping it down.....just take time maybe take a picture each time you remove a component to aid rebuilding.Pretty logical the order you remove bits just take care with any clips especially those securing leather to the foam and in no time your down to the heating element.
I didn't remove the lower back cover so cant comment on how to access that one.Before i do look again at mine i need to find out if theres a relay somewhere because after fixing my broken wire it should either work even on Hi or not at all so i wonder if i have a duff relay somewhere? Maybe someone can confirm if it has one and where it is?

I can't find it now (sorry) by I have seen a complete guide showing how to strip the seats to inspect the heating wires. I can't remember which website it was on but I am pretty sure it was one of the Honda forums, perhaps one of the US ones. What I do remember is that the leather on the seats is not difficult to remove. They are basically very well fitting covers.

However, seat heating problems in Hondas are not uncommon and just Googling the problem brings up lots of articles and videos. All Hondas of similar productions years have the same type of heating / switches.