What's new

Is anyone had rebuilt a blinding rear tourer calipers?

rhyeung

Members
Reaction score
Car
SPORT TOURER
Hi guys, as my tourer rear passenger side calipers seem blinding, im thinking to take it out and give it a rebuilt using new piston seal and dust seal etc, and repaint in yellow to match the front calipers, just need some advice, will the dust seal easy to fit in as I've heard the original front caliper's isn't easy to fit and need glue or something...many help appreciated..

Cheers

it could actually be the brake line that had collapsed

The brake line were HEL Braied line, and was replaced less than 50k miles, so, what should be doing with the collapsed brake line? Or just simple bleeding?

Was thinking about that.. But for the cost, rebuilt is much cheaper, and I have all tool available. Just to get the rebuilt kit which around £10 each side..

I've never taken a caliper apart and been happy that merely replacing the rubber seals would fix it... there's usually a fair bit of wear and corrosion that will cause problems.

Caliper rebuild is fairly easy, I did it on the ATR calipers a few years back.

Ray is right you can blow them out with a basic compressor.

The tourer has standard calipers as there is no integrated handbrake so I would say its worth having a go.

Should be easy enough , the sticking is often caused by corrosion in the seal seat pushing the seal out swelling it so it becomes to tight for the piston . Removing the seal , getting something like a dentists pick helps ,then making sure the seat is well cleaned out and scraped clean and free of corrosion , new seals ,touch of rubber friendly grease , pop em pistons back in .. jobs a good un .

If you don't have a compressor can you do it by taking the caliper off the wheel and pressing the brake pedal until the piston comes all the way out?

Cliffordski said:
If you don't have a compressor can you do it by taking the caliper off the wheel and pressing the brake pedal until the piston comes all the way out?
I don't think is good idea of doing this way, and this also very hard to bring pistons out as it has sucktion in the system. And without the whole caliper off the system, will even damage the master cylinder too..

ToothlessDrunk said:
Should be easy enough , the sticking is often caused by corrosion in the seal seat pushing the seal out swelling it so it becomes to tight for the piston . Removing the seal , getting something like a dentists pick helps ,then making sure the seat is well cleaned out and scraped clean and free of corrosion , new seals ,touch of rubber friendly grease , pop em pistons back in .. jobs a good un .
That is what I'm going to do as part of rebuilt job, the seal you mean is dust seal around the piston right? Or the metal that holds the two pads? But I will buy new seal kit from eBay, and give it a go as I need my back caliper paint to yellow anyway.
Just to know the dust seal is push in design, if so, that is very easy job as I been throught the ATR calipers and then brembo's.

F6HAD said:
Caliper rebuild is fairly easy, I did it on the ATR calipers a few years back.

Ray is right you can blow them out with a basic compressor.

The tourer has standard calipers as there is no integrated handbrake so I would say its worth having a go.
Faddy, thanks for that, will defo give it a go before the caliper eat through my new pads! Every long journey caused excessive heat from the alloys also strong burning pad smell...

luckboy16138 said:
That is what I'm going to do as part of rebuilt job, the seal you mean is dust seal around the piston right? Or the metal that holds the two pads? But I will buy new seal kit from eBay, and give it a go as I need my back caliper paint to yellow anyway.
Just to know the dust seal is push in design, if so, that is very easy job as I been throught the ATR calipers and then brembo's.
yes seal around piston , if your getting the service kit I would expect you to get the inner fluid seal too .

The inner seal shoud be the pistons seal right? It's part of the service kit I believe.. Many thanks, and I just order them from biggred in ebay for £26, and can service both calipers.. :)

ToothlessDrunk said:
Yup sounds like your getting what you need .
Yes man, because I done the front ATR calipers upgrade before and then recently done the front DC5 4 pots brembo, the mod is good, I love the bite mate...