What's new

Is it me or is the Honda Nav rubbish?

Swervin Mervin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Jazz
I'm sure it'll take me to a far flung town but local journey directions are a joke!

It is laughable the directions it gives me most of the time.....WAY off the most direct route!

:(

No, you are a member of a sadly non elite club of those of us who can read a map, can visualise the roads ahead as they would be on said map, and wonder why the Sat Nav takes you on the most obscure route imaginable.

I remember not long after buying the car, I wanted to show off to the old man who was working in High Barnet at the time. So I took the dude (18 months old) and picked dad up form work to drive to the homestead in East Sussex for the weekend. Biiiiigggg mistake was using the Sat Nav and TMC traffic avoidance malarkey.

Nowadays I only use it for gauging corners ahead and rough ETA's.

Honda's does seem worse than others, but then if you have ever driven in Japan, you might be a little more tolerant :lol: I truly am in awe of their postmen.

Why are you in awe of the posties Dan?

I've got the 2006-2007 disc installed CJ but how on earth it comes up with cr*p like this I'll never know.....

I had already driven from the other end of town with the nav on (my 5 year old likes it on regardless of whether Dad know's where he is going!)

I turned into the road where I am shown at POINT A, my destination is POINT B. The nav does a quick recalculation and decides to send me right back up the other side of the crescent onto the road I've just left! Bearing in mind that every road in the image is two way and not obstructed in any way! :D

SatNavInsanity.jpg

Japanese posties rock up at all times of the day. By that I mean at convenient times for the resident rather than when posty decides to wake up. I have freaked out more than a few before now opening the father-in-law's-door in a towel or Yukata (summer Kimono) after a long days drinking pop's beer :D.

There are few identifying street signs on anything we would consider a B road or smaller and people don't tend to have house numbers, just their surnames as door markers.

Nearly ten years now I have been driving and waling around residential Kawasaki, Tokyo, and Kamakura, and the only navigation aids I have managed to use are gardens, shops and strange barking dogs. They also have lamp posts and telegraph poles sticking up randomly out of pavements and roadsides.

Pants though our roads are - their structure and signage are amongst the best in the world.

I'm sure it'll take me to a far flung town but local journey directions are a joke!

It is laughable the directions it gives me most of the time.....WAY off the most direct route!

:(

Welcome to the club, dude! The biggest sore in my eyes when I look at the screen in the middle of the dash... And I have the latest maps, and no excuses with the TMC, as I have a prefacelift... My local Lidle is still a petrol station, although it hasn't been such for maybe 10-15 years, my local exit to the A325 dual carriageway does not exist, and my local road is closed so I cannot drive to my house... and I live in an area where people say "recently" for events that had happened 20 years ago, the sign "New road layout ahead" stays for 5 years, anything hardly ever changes, so no excuse for a satnav not to know the route... And in London I have often seen my car in the middle of a block of houses instead on the road where it is...

Nowadays I have just removed the satnav disk out of the drive to try to reduce the stress levels when I drive. :D

The only time I use my sat nav is when I'm in no hurry going somewhere and fancy going there a really long winded different way!

When I travel I always look at a map 1st so I can work out how to get to my destination then program the sat nav and check it's going in the right direction.

But I always turn her down because she talks absolute ****. Most recently when wanting to turn left at a roundabout, the screen showed me I had to turn left, but she kept insisting I should "Keep right!".

I just use it to confirm road and junction numbers that I already know and treat it as an 'aid' to driving not as gospel like some people. But l can see how people blindly follow them, drive off a cliff edge, and end up on the news. Maybe sat nav is just the 21st century equivalent of Darwin.

i've always found with sat navs they take you to the nearest main road and then guide you from that point also you can't beat local knowledge which these things don't have but they are good for getting you to places when you don't know where you are

I'm planning to use the satnav to navigate to central Germany sometime. In view of other posters' comments, I may take a TomTom along for comparison. Naturally I will take an atlas along as well!