Is the 2.4 expensive to run?

markquinton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex 2.0 i-vtec
Hi all

Just stumbled upon this website.

I've currently got a 59 plate Toyota Avensis Tourer 2.2D-Cat TSpirit on PCP finance. The car is very well specced indeed and it's a decent car but it's costing me £300 per month on fianance and I am considering taking it back to Toyota (garage has offered to settle the finance by buying it back off me) to free up more money per month and protect myself somewhat from commiting to any more outgoings that I need to seeing as the current climate is very delicate and we never know whether our jobs are safe.

If I take the car back I will buy a cheaper vehicle. I am a mad japanese car fan and have had Honda's before. I only live 3-4 miles from work and do the odd trip around the country with work commitments. Due to the proximity from work I am beginning to think I would like to go back to petrol (less to go wrong, lower fuel prices etc etc). I really like the look of the 2.4 Type S accords that you can pick up for reasonable prices, I also love Honda reliability. My existing Avensis is an automatic and may suprise you but the trip computer shows I only get 30mpg combined which is miles away from Toyota's figures, i've heard a lot of other people mention the poor performance on this engine/box combination.

I suppose my question is, will the 2.4 vtec be expensive to run or will I not notice much difference? With the car tax reconfigurations and petrol costs is the 2.4 a viable car for a family man or in these times is it becoming an expensive luxury that people are turning away from? I've seem some previous posts where some 2.4 owners don't get any more than 26-28mpg and others say regular over 30mpg figures can easily be achieved. I'd like to consider myself a smooth careful driver although I enjoy the power.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

if you are only getting 30 mpg from your diesel and paying that little bit more for diesel then I would say definitely go for the 2.4. its a hugely reliable machine with a fantastic engine.
tax will be the only notable difference between the two.
30 mpg+ is not unusual for the 2.4 under normal driving.

it sounds a no brainer to me.

Compared to my last car I would say its alot cheaper to run. The insurance is less than half what I was paying before and the fuel economy is almost twice as good . On my last long run I worked out I was getting about 31 mpg and I wasn't hanging around , when driven at a slower pace on a run it should be even better.

Hi Mark, youv'e come to the right place. And i live in Norwich too, and we have a Accord Type S 2.4 Best car i have driven in a long time, we get 100-120 miles on £20 of juice, i have seen 480 miles on a run from a full tank. Your more than welcome to come round/meet up maybe have a drive to see if you like the Type S? I am also a Honda nut, i own a 98 Civic highly modified ( not boy racer style though ) and another Civic for work car. The Accord is my new love though, i love driving it, even though i brought it for the missus to use as a family car, for the little one too.

Keef

Send us a text if you want. 07772222815

Cheers for all the responses! It does sound positive, once upon a time I owned a 2.3 V5 Toledo and remember that because it was a larger engine I tended to drive more smoothly which kinda compensated for having to work smaller engined cars in terms of MPG.

Urban boy thanks ever so much for the offer, just need to give it some thought about returning the Avensis and downgrading (in terms of age). I do miss the reassurance of driving a petrol, I don't know why but the fact there are more things to go wrong with a diesel never sits completely comfortable with me. Also urban boy my drive to work is only from Horsford to Vulcan Road industrial estate so that gives you some idea of my journey.

Thanks once again.

Mark

Go for it mark the K24 is a great car

K24 is an epic engine....and you buy a bolt on super charger kit for it too ;)

On a 3-4 mile journey alone expect about 25 mpg, I get 30 on average and you can easily get mid 30s on a motorway run.

My type S is in the for sale ads now - they are brilliant cars. The premium you pay for diesel offsets the extra fuel costs though if you are doing short journeys then a diesel wont be getting warm.
I have seen 40mpg on a motorway run of 200 miles, Im no racer but stay around 70-75.
Mines got a few tweeks to improve the handling but is pretty much a standard car.

For the mileage you do a petrol is perfect! I do a 16 mile round trip a day and i get 31mpg with easy driving and a wee bit of vtec gear stretching thrown in too :lol:

Thanks guys, this is a really helpfull forum.

Just one thing.. I've seen one locally on the web for sale which looks immaculate (always do in photos though) and has full service history but it has 113k (mainly motoroway miles).

Due to the age of these cars now I guess most have high miles, would this put you off or are high mileage cars a good buy as long as they are maintained.

Me again.

Just realised someone else has posted a similar question regarding high mileage 2.4's so sorry for the duplicaiton.

Thanks guys, this is a really helpfull forum.

Just one thing.. I've seen one locally on the web for sale which looks immaculate (always do in photos though) and has full service history but it has 113k (mainly motoroway miles).

Due to the age of these cars now I guess most have high miles, would this put you off or are high mileage cars a good buy as long as they are maintained.

Depends on the price and how it drives.

Mileage really doesn't come into it until a lot later for a Honda petrol, if those miles are mainly motorway, it should be fine. The only thing to do really is test drive a few and compare the differences, maybe take Keef up on his generous offer for comparison.

Equally it does sound like a no brainer to give the Avensis back, especially if you only do low mileage IMHO

took mine from Manchester to Solihull last weekend on £30, never had a problem 163k and counting on mine, urban driving i get about 60 miles from £15 which is not too bad, i would highly recommend this car to anyone.

I tend to spend most of my time driving around town getting stuck in fuel-sapping traffic jams, plus the occasional cross country cruise of 15-20 miles, and I average 25mpg under those circumstances. It's almost always 330 miles from full to fuel light, which is about 55 litres. At £73 for that fill, that works out about 22 pence a mile, which I'm more than happy with :) Get it on the motorway and it's a lot better.

HHmmm... I've got the exec auto tourer with the K24 engine , it's been utterly reliable in the 5 years we've had it , The build quality seems fine my only gripe is they are soooo slow and gutless and really need a bigger cam. As white goods go though there ok and shouldn't **** your wallet with expensive repairs.

Accord Andy - looking at your signature I reckon most cars would seem be slow in comparison to what you have in your collection! :)

I had a 2.4 Accord until 3 months ago. I thoroughly thrashed it for 3 years and it never let me down. A really good car to own and very reliable. Go for it, you won't regret it. I traded up to a Lexus IS250.

Accord Andy - looking at your signature I reckon most cars would seem be slow in comparison to what you have in your collection! :)

I think Honda really missed a trick in not doing a V6 for the euro market, because of the vtec there is no torque and because of the mild cam it doesn't really excell at anything where as a v6 with the same spec(on paper at least) would offer a much better drive in my opinion. We changed a pug V6 406 coupe for the accord and that was silky smooth with plenty of power but the same spec on paper, and it used a lot less fuel.

But as an all round reliable mid sized car thay are better than a lot of the euro boxes driving around, and one thing that they did get right is the styling, mine is 9 years old this year and it still looks modern compared to most other cars of the same age. (see it's not all negative) (some say im hard to please).

Costs more to run than a Twingo that's for sure. But for a car its size, with all the gadgets it's got, it's very good. The engine is bomb proof. Most other things are just general wear from age and use. Not always the cheapest repairs, but it sure beats driving around in a ford or a vauxhall.

:)

Just hit 100k last week, but thats not stopping me from tracking it again this year as many times as possible :lol:

Oz how does the clutch stand up to track days

Mine is still fine so far. I burnt the ***** out of it in winter 2010 coz i got stuck in the snow but decided to see if it would die on track in april 2011 but it was fine as the long gearing meant i wasnt changing gear as much. Its possible to do a whole lap of knockhill in 3rd gear, you only need 2nd for the hairpin. When pushing it you need 4th on the back and main straights but other than that knockhill is only heavy on the brakes when you slow from 120-40 for the hairpin and 110-70 for the first corner. All other corners you only need to scrub like 20mph off, and like i say due to the long gearing you can just stay in 3rd for most of it.

Cheers oz I was thinking of tracking mine sometime lol

been away from the computer a while, but had to put my honest thoughts too. I love my Accord, I got driving to scotland, almost all motorway driving in 6th gear over 400miles before the petrol light came on and I was averaging 75 mph, so that tells you if I was slower it would off been more! It is comfortable and has a slick gear box. Power wise its got some go in it in 4th gear for over taking, I enjoy the ride and reliability with a petrol. I honestly am impressed and its a cracking car. :lol:

Thanks for all your replies it's been a great help.

The only thing that slightly worries me is the rear space in the accord (with having 1 child, trying for another and being 6'4") and the boot size. Unfortunately I don't like the shape of the tourer.

I also considered one of the first 8 gen's but having tried the rear space in one of them in the showroom I was astouned at how cramped it is with the drivers seat back to accomodate me, it really should be much bigger and loses out to the Avensis, Mazda 6 and Mondeo by quiet a margin in the rear leg room space. Now need to try a 7th gen to see whether that is big enough.

I have a 7th gen tourer but spent the day in an 8th gen saloon the other day. I'd say the 8th gen has the bigger cabin in the back. My 7th gen tourer's boot is obviously huge, but as for the actual cabin, the 8th gen has more leg room and it felt higher. Larger doors too so was easier to fit the child seat in and also obviously the child himself. In my opinion, the back seats of the 8th gen beat the 7th gen hands down. It's just my opinion, but if you found the 8th gen small, you're not going to like the 7th gen :unsure: . But you see I'm 5'7" and the Mrs is petite and Japanese, so really the car feels big all over to both of us :lol: . I can only imagine what it must be like for someone of your height.

leg room will probably be an issue to be honest. but the seats in the back are ridiculously comfortable.
although leg room is tighter passengers prefer my accord to my old Mondeo due to the seat design.
on the ford the rear bench is slightly tilted to give more leg room but on long journeys this plays merry hell with your back because it forces you to sit in an unnatural position.

The back seats are good, you're right. My Dad had a 1994 C200 Merc back in the late 90s and it was horrible. Apart from the shocking reliability for such an expensive German car (it was at the height of that dodgy period Mercedes went through in the 1990s) the rear seats were terrible. The two outer seats sloped into the centre of the car so you spent the whole time slowly sliding and repositioning yourself and slowly sliding again. This of course meant you were never really sitting with a straight back as your **** would be creeping away to the centre of the car all the time. This would also really annoy the person in the middle if there were 3 in the back. It's amazing how wrong they can get something like that. He rates my Accord highly over his old Merc. He had a Volvo 740 before that, now that was a comfy rear seat. As a kid, the long summer holiday drives never felt a chore in that. Great motor. Much preferred it over the Merc (as a passenger, never drove either, was too young).

My first ever ride in a 7th Gen Accord was in the back of my mate's 2.4 Tourer. I was stunned. With the Mrs pregnant, I knew this would be my family car so I went out two weeks later and bought one :lol: . But like I said before, I'm 5'7" and the Mrs is Japanese, so height in our family isn't an issue :lol: .

Do let us know how you get on with the 7th Gen though Mark. I know what you mean about the 8th Gen Tourer. I'm not a fan of the styling. The 7th Gen though is like a giant 1985 Aerodeck ;) . What's not to love :lol: . Get a 2.4, lowered with tinted windows and nice alloys, it's a beautiful motor, one of the best looking on the road in my opinion. And the boot requires no strategic Tetris style organisation. It will just swallow up your buggy and the shopping and more. Just chuck it in and it says "Is that all you got?!". Seriously the flat back door on the 7th as opposed to the angled back door on the 8th, I'm sure must give you more boot space. It's a good design. I've moved house in mine. About 8 trips with Sofas and all sorts hanging out the back. I've also moved my miniature piano, lots of large Music equipment and a few Arcade Machines. It's a great wagon, a real workhorse. Like this generations Volvo 740 :lol: .