What's new

Is the leather real on the SE Exec?

exec

Members
Reaction score
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
Quick question might be a daft one, but is the leather on the 6th gen real? or are they synthetic?

The leather is real, and its high quality and very thick. Only side and back of the seat is synthetic.
Cheers!

Thanks for the confirmation, it is really nice quality indeed, plan on cleaning mine soon so wanted to make sure I get the right cleaner.

I'd always ***umed the leather on the SE Exec had some sort of plastic coating on it, therefore I've only ever cleaned it with leather wipes as I was told the plastic coating made the leather impenetrable therefore using a dedicated leather 'feed' cream was a waste of time.

The coating on the light/cream leather on the older 6th gen 'ES' models I've noticed seems to peel and look dirty, however this doesn't seem to happen on the TYPE-V model so I wondered if this was of a higher quality?

It probably has some sort of coating over it as I ***ume its been painted in some way rather than dyed. I'm mulling over what product to use to clean it, don't want to damage it in anyway!

I use either Simoniz or ArmorAll leather wipes on mine (from Halfords). Gives it a nice temporary sheen and freshens it up :) Been told that's the safest way as with you don't want to scrub off the top coating, which I suppose acts as a protective barrier and would prevent any cream being absorbed into the leather anyway.

Its a hybrid leather. Leather is shaved so its ultra thin then applied to a canvas type material. Its a cheap type of leather which is then painted rather than dyed. You only really get genuine leather which is dyed on top spec Mercs and Rolls Royce etc.

you need to make sure you use a light cleaner and definitely nothing to abrasive due to it being painted and not dyed.

^ rather disappointed to hear that :lol: was chuffed that they were real leather, but I guess it makes sense in a way not having proper leather on a non luxury car. Still as long as it feels like it :D

Might need to look into those leather wipes, thanks for the shout out.

I appear to be a month late with this topic - but as someone above said, my leather has peeled badly.

The best way I've found to remove the remaining coating and clean up the leather to an acceptable standard is Dove soap, sliced up with a razor blade, dissolved in a bucket of warm water, applied to the leather.

A good vacuuming will pick up the bits of loose coating that comes away.

Not ideal, and I'd prefer to leave the coating on if it was intact, but sadly, mine was too far gone to save. At least the seats are very clean, the leather is supple and it leaves a pleasant scent.

I have three stripes near the edge of my drivers seat where the leather has peeled off and the canvas is exposed, so looks like Crespo is spot on when he said its hybrid leather with the leather being shavings, slightly disappointing, but it wasn't a 100k car when new.

Craig when you did yours was your canvas exposed and is that what you repaired? Not sure how one would get the leather back if the shavings have peeled off.

My driver's seat has a large split in each of the driver's RH bolsters, backrest and squab. Not much you can do with this, and it looks rather unsightly, and the canvas is indeed visible, but I was referring to the thin painted coating applied to the leather. Mine was peeling everywhere... washing all the loose bits off made it look better, but the massive hold in the seat can't be fixed!