What's new

Is there an Amp in the EXEC?

mrbless248

Members
Reaction score
Car
i-CTDi Exec
HI All,

Anyone know if there's an Amp in the Exec that runs the 6x9's at the rear? If so, where is it, and has anyone upgraded it?

Cheers.

yes there is a standard amp right under your ash tray..have a to remove a few trims to get to it. anything after market amp will fit and work ..if done correctly.

CJ can you give more details on this?

The amp receives a 4 ch signal and converts it to 8ch. 2 tweeters 4mids and 2low freq bass for the 6x9's.

If you want bass the easiest way is use a line level converter, then you can add amp and sub but dont go mad on quality as the output is somewhat limited.

A much more serious way would be to bypass the stock amp alltogether and run new lines for components and subs, but you run the risk of introducing noise into the system.

yes there is a standard amp right under your ash tray..have a to remove a few trims to get to it. anything after market amp will fit and work ..if done correctly.

Roughly what size amp is under the ashtray (dimensions) and what size do you think will fit without any mods?

its not as simple as just replacing it, like i said theres only 4 ch going in and 8 ch coming out. Also theres no rca connections, and some modification is req. Its something that needs to be thought out. My way would be a small amp in its place to drive comps up front, and a larger amp in the boot for the sub.

Someone on the old forum had a detailed DIY on how to add proper pre-amp outputs to the factory amp. Sadly I think it was lost when the site went down :(

The amp receives a 4 ch signal and converts it to 8ch. 2 tweeters 4mids and 2low freq bass for the 6x9's.

If you want bass the easiest way is use a line level converter, then you can add amp and sub but dont go mad on quality as the output is somewhat limited.

A much more serious way would be to bypass the stock amp alltogether and run new lines for components and subs, but you run the risk of introducing noise into the system.

Can anyone give more detail on this method?

I'd be interested to know if its possible to leave the current speakers and amp as they are but adding an additional amp say in the boot with high power 6x9's and possibly a sub as well in the boot

I like high powered speaker systems but never had one in a car before :D

I had a full 500 watt setup in my previous 6th generation car( 4 channel amp, tweeters and a 12" subwoofer). It sounded great but took up a lot of boot space. The factory set-up in my CL9( with satnav) is a good as any factory stereo I've heard. I wouldn't change any of it, except maybe the tweeters in the dash. I play lots of bass heavy music, and it handles it with ease, plus it is stealthy so it shouldn't get nicked.

I have a subwoofer and after market double din unit running off the stock amp, there no need to uprgarde the stock amp is brilliant made by Pioneer also. i just have a seperate amp to run the subwoofer and the double din unit plugged into the oem amp. all my set up is Pioneer... Pioneer speakers, subwoofer, x2 amps and also the Pioneer Double DIN unit.

so that amp runs all the speakers in the car not just the 6x9 in the rear? which i thought was all it did

so that amp runs all the speakers in the car not just the 6x9 in the rear? which i thought was all it did

Yes it runs all the speakers and has an inbuilt crossover to feed different signals to each speaker as stated already.

The factory amp is actually pretty good and an upgrade of just the 6x9's will be more than acceptable for most people. Stoping the car rattling is another matter though. I cant have my bass setting higher than 3 otherwise my 3rd brakelight tries to escape.

Yes it runs all the speakers and has an inbuilt crossover to feed different signals to each speaker as stated already.

The factory amp is actually pretty good and an upgrade of just the 6x9's will be more than acceptable for most people. Stoping the car rattling is another matter though. I cant have my bass setting higher than 3 otherwise my 3rd brakelight tries to escape.

I find with mine, with the bass turned up to max, the quality is excellent but when I move the volume higher than 13 or 14 the bass is almost non existant in comparison. The mid and high range is excellent the whole way up to near full volume (I havn't put it that high)

I find with mine, with the bass turned up to max, the quality is excellent but when I move the volume higher than 13 or 14 the bass is almost non existant in comparison. The mid and high range is excellent the whole way up to near full volume (I havn't put it that high)

Ya, mine's like that but maybe 15 or 16.

lol, that sounds a lot like my old hyundai accident. Sony custom fits in the doors, 6x9s on the parcel shelf, 2 x 10 inch subs in the boot along with a 12 inch sub for good measure, the fronts were powered by a sony headunit, but everything up back was powered by a 1200 watt amp. Get the settings right and it sounded great, but up the bass a little and everything started to vibrate and rattle, including my head.

Ya, mine's like that but maybe 15 or 16.

Yep thats because the stock h/u cuts the bass back to protect the integrity of the speakers, remember most stock speakers are made out of paper.
This adjustment is done in the h/u and not the amp, you can buy after market items to keep the signal level throughout, but if adding a amp/speakers you just tune it to your listening volume with the bass set 0, and raise it if need abit more punch.

Damn, that's why going passed 30 makes naff all difference then ?:(