What's new

Issue after topping up oil

bijomaru

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
As they say, people only speak up when things go wrong, so here I am again....

For the past few months the car has been running sweet. Done some maintenance, brakes, tyres, nothing out of ordinary. Service is due so was going to book for next week.

Then yesterday morning drove missus to work at 6am, no problems. 8am, I've started the engine and upon acceleration a weird ticking noise, maybe like valves (?). Stopped and checked the oil was about 2mm below minimum (I guess by that point I have already messed up). So went to a shop and got 0w-30 Diesel oil from Castrol. Topped up less than a litre, which took it few mm below max level. All done as pew manual.

Took a day off from work, did not want to risk driving 30 miles in case something's wrong. Drove back home and and thought I will leave it for a while and try again later.

One thing, the ticking noise came up even when I've stopped to go to the shop, the engine was still warm, and when started again the noise is there again for like half a mile. Then it goes and it sounds normal.

Tried it again after couple of hours and it's still there.

So the big question is, have I knackered something already ???? :(

EDIT: Could it be that at the last service HH filled up oil different than 0w-30 and the difference in viscosity adds the noise?

do you know if your car is burning oil? any smoke or leaks? has it had 0w 30 before? what mileage is it on?

Not burning oil. Basically never had to top up between services, this one is now a bit overdue due to couple of things. No smoke that I've noticed or oil leaks.

Not sure what they out on at Honda Holdcroft services, but I would think they put 0w-30 being reliable chaps. just over 113k now

EDIT: SPoke to HH. THey do put 0w-30 in. Also booked for Monday for a service. Just need to be sure it's safe to go there and use it in the meantime as it's quite a trip...

It might or might not be related to the low oil. Does it change with change in revs or is it constant? Can you hear it when idling? Any idea where its coming from?

Not there when idling. Only around 1,5-2k when accelerating for the first half a mile (approx.)

Yep. Turbo sounds fine. I mean the regular noise when cold and then whistle when warm. Nothing out of ordinary here.

has your timing chain been replaced on warranty yet.

No. It was something I've been looking to have done before 125k.

I will have them have a look at this on Monday. Just worrying if it's something like injectors, valves or something more inside the engine that failed because of the low oil .....

Rob mate im not an expert but lack of oil can cause problems with the oil pump and chain i would get this checked out as soon as you can.

Well I am getting someone to listen to it today and will go from there. I guess if it is the chain, driving to Stoke to get it fixed is not recommended. Then again Swindon dealer will rip me off. Oh well ....

keep us updated Rob what the problem is.

Could be a failing oil pickup/pump but I don't want to start a guessing game as that will scare the hell out of you mate. Just take it to HH and let them have a listen, it might be nothing.

Just had the mechanic have a look. He said it looks like the gasket in the exhaust pipe or manifold. And I can definitely smell fumes now in the place where you always said to look at.

So it could be just a coincidence that it went while I was a little down on oil. He even put his hand to the exhaust pipe and it makes it worse.

Might not be the engine after all. I will not drive it for the rest of the week and take it to HH on Monday. Surely they will know what it is.

Just hope the manifold will be covered even though I am a little overdue for this service.

I'll record it tomorrow and share it here.

Good news Robert fingers crossed its your manny :)

Just re-read the thread about manny (as you called it) and it looks like it's covered up to 125k or 7 yrs no matter what service history. SO that's good.

On the other hand if it's an exhaust gasket then I guess that can't be expensive.Bit relieved now but won't be fully at piece until the noise is gone. Roll on Monday !!

From your description I would say you'd be unlucky to have an oil related failure. Fingers crossed dude!

Robert,

Make sure you mention it to the guys at HH on Monday, depending on how bad it is they should spot it, but equally it is easier to find things when some symptoms are pointed out. One thing for sure is they will be honest with you as to what it is and whether it is covered under extended warranty.

Have you got breakdown cover?

Worse case scenario if you really are uneasy about the noise etc, when driving it on Monday is to get it recovered to Holdcroft (if you policy covers you for recovery to your destination), just a thought.

Hope all goes well for you

Actually it probably is the manifold as they do make a distinctive ticking noise when they crack.

My manifold made a ticking noise whilst it was cracked. Now I've got the new manifold on, the noise is gone. Just be a bit wary with Honda when you put a claim in for your cracked manifold, I had high hopes until the they told me they aren't going to do it as "its not been serviced at Honda". They are trying to save on costs these days it seems!

Thanks Guys

Got AA but I think they only recover to home in case of breakdown.

Started the car this morning and definitely could smell fumes in the car. Like never before.

If it was just a coincidence, then quite lucky, as it turned my attention to the oil. Definitely will be back to checking regularly. I guess the fact I never had to top up had put me off the guard.

I have FSH with slight delay this time. Still from what was said in the thread about manifold they should get it done regardless at my mileage.

I've tried looking for the crack or where the fumes are coming from but had no luck. I just think maybe if it's manifold I should get that done in Swindon, as if I drive it to Stoke, they might not be able to get it done the same day.

Just got back from Swindon Dealers. They had a look and it is the manifold. Booked in for a repair next Tuesday-Wednesday. Courtesy car for the time of the repair.

They only cared about the mileage and age. Not bothered by FSH, as it's a safety issue, and no servicing will prevent that from happening.

All good :)

Now wondering if I should try calling HUK to find out if they can provide a car until then? I can't drive to work or do any of my jobs I've had scheduled for this week and weekend :/ What do you think?

I've have my manny done also with no problem with the dealer finger crossed for you ....

Just got back from Swindon Dealers. They had a look and it is the manifold. Booked in for a repair next Tuesday-Wednesday. Courtesy car for the time of the repair.

They only cared about the mileage and age. Not bothered by FSH, as it's a safety issue, and no servicing will prevent that from happening.

All good :)

Now wondering if I should try calling HUK to find out if they can provide a car until then? I can't drive to work or do any of my jobs I've had scheduled for this week and weekend :/ What do you think?

I doubt Honda will be able to ***ist with a car. Have you asked the dealer if they have a car available?

Yes. They can only cover the 2 days it's in for a repair.

Tough. Will have to ask around friends.

Good news about the warranty at least though...

Car's now sorted. Had a Jazz for 2 days, and while it's a nice quiet little car, it's not my cup of tea :)

The noise and smell is now gone, didn't have to pay a penny so happy bunny :) Service booked on Monday so any issues hopefully will be picked up. Me being me, there is always something I am worried about, so will probably force them to squeeze an ear somewhere inside the engine bay lol.

Thanks for suggestions and advice guys !!