What's new

Issue blowing Out pistons from the caliper

rhyeung

Members
Reaction score
Car
SPORT TOURER
Hi guys, after I read faddy' write up about upgrading from stock front calipers to the 7th gen type r calipers.. I was so interested and hence sourced a pair of them from eBay around£ 165  ,they were looking oily and rusty,after I used nearly a bottle of brake clearer and one and half hour steel brushing...they are looking slightly better,anyway,the pistons are in the caliper(they looks old and rusty inside)...so i need to get this things out and do the proper rebuild with some kits(from bigg  red) i followed what faddy said use12v standard air compressor(which my car come with it), trying to blow these out but without success,the air pressure simply just too weak...
The day after, I brought these two things to the nearby garages one of them won't do it...the other one want £50 to do the complete rebuild job, I need to supply everything of cause  including paint, he just do the  refurbishing..
I thought if someone could give some advice how exactly can I get these pistons out and I could even save some money to buy some tool instead.... cheers..

Hi Ray, I remember you (how is the noodle bar? I still remember eating the best noodles ever there).

A 12v compressor will work mate, make sure its fully charged up and you are holding the valve right against the fluid channel so its got a complete vaccum to push air into.

Hi faddy,nice of you to remember and my noodle going just as good as the Honda tourer lol...and I think I blow the wrong way...I will try the fluid channel..do u think I need brand new pistons? The pistons looks too rusty for me...not sure they work all right...

Hi Ray, I am still in the process of this mod... if you have rust chances are your caliper pistons are seized... I could not even use the 12v air comp! :(

as I am going to replace the pistons this is what I did - get the caliper on a bench.. clamp it down... get some grip pliers around the piston and twist back and forth and they will pop out... i managed to do 3 out of four, but the last one was a pain... if you cant get proper compressed air (as this is the most easiest way) then you will need to fit it temporarily on a car and pump it out with the brake pedal... but be aware of losing brake fluid and doing a bleed on the system!

I sent all mine off to get sand blasted and powder coated and now they are just awaiting some new pistons and seals and then they will be like new! i have taken 3 months so far for this mod and go half way through... main reason is I didn't want to spend too much.. so in the end I only paid £55 for the pair of calipers, removing pistons and powder coating...

good luck mate :)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4975-brake-caliper-pistons/page__p__58711__hl__pistons__fromsearch__1#entry58711

that's what my pistons are like and I am replacing...

Jav's right actually if they are so badly rusted then you may need to force them out. You could try a couple of flat blade screwdrivers and then insert into the grooved lip at the top of the piston, one on each side of the piston and gently try and massage it out somehow...

Yep that's right just be careful, take your time and try to get them out evenly (due to seal design) and they will come out :)

A 12v compressor will work mate, make sure its fully charged up and you are holding the valve right against the fluid channel so its got a complete vaccum to push air into.

Hi faddy, I had my second attempt for removing those ipstons but again without success! I wasn't use that much time due to lack of spare time..I begin to think if I done not correct..what u mean by fluid channel is that mean the bleed screw? Or the back of the body banjo bolt? I wish I could sort this out and to see if pistons are In good condition...
Sorry for the question anyway..

I did mine through where the brake lines connect to the body of the caliper. I simply connected my air compressor using a blower attachment and applied pressure. The caliper slowly slide out and then pop quite ferociously at the end. I'd suggest putting a piece of wood in the caliper to control them as the really so fly out (well them did in my ase with 100psi fired into them!).

Yes mate where the banjo bolt goes and make sure the fluid nipple is closed otherwise you'll get air leaking out and reducing the pressure. But it could be they are seized so try the screwdrivers..

do they move at all? if not then the following will not work...and maybe they have just been sitting for too long with no protection

are the pistons all the way in? if they aren't use something like a G clamp to help move them in and then use air to blow them out again and repeat process may need persuasion with the screwdriver.

if you can't get the pistons to move at all it maybe a wasted effort.

however you really want a decent air compressor to do the job and not a charge up one...some of them are just useless (my dad got me one hahah)...and also heed advice about putting a block of wood at the end to prevent it firing out!

Everyone, I'm going to tell you my car this morning got broken in by thief smashed up the passenger window! Yes! I lost the whole side screen, the DVD touch screen player had been stolen! 

Dude that's not good!

Hi guys just fit the new glass in today cost£ 75 for the class n all fit by myself...and will follow your advice to rebuild those calipers shortly....

Hi guys today I managed to get three of the pistons out, By useing alung's advice, thanks for that... But one of the piston which I can only move a little.. Ive been spend to much time on last one n still couldn't get it out.. !anyway, the three of the pistons on the wall around it are all pit and rust free..just the outer lips and the neck of the piston are pity and rusty...do u guys think they are good to use? Andway, without getting last one out, I couldn't do anythIng further...

hi guys, stop posting because too busy work, anyway,the calipers which i'm currenly rebuild them, here are four pistons out!! see pic....
[
fourpistons.jpg

i wish guys will advice me on rebuilding this calipers, hence some of the unknow questions list below....

fristly when i put those pistions back in....i need just coat them with brake fluid?

from the workshop pic i get from forum...the brand new from redd brake pin boot(see pic
pinboot.jpg
will need Nippon grease( where can i get this grease?or other alternative??)

those pads were came from those calpers...they are old....but the thickness looking good for me....do u guys susgest i reuse them? see pic
innerpads.jpg
[
oldbrakepads.jpg

do guys ever replace those pad retainers (see pic), i worry those will fail to work properly then i will be shot myself....(sorry to ask i just need to learn enough of how this work and ***embly), without the knowledge, i'm lack of confident to do this!!
oh,do guys have the step by step caliper replace from ATR workshop manual whcih is can be downloaded?
padretainers.jpg

Ray, I would never use old pads - always replace with new to allow them to mate your discs perfectly and evenly. You can just clean those sliders/retainers with a wire brush and apply a little bit of copper grease to allow free movement of the pad - no need to replace.

fristly when i put those pistions back in....i need just coat them with brake fluid?
Yeah, apply a bit of brake fluid to make sure they slide ok. Be careful not to damage the new seal, it happened to me, they can be hard to slide in...

from the workshop pic i get from forum...the brand new from redd brake pin boot will need Nippon grease( where can i get this grease?or other alternative??)
Just use some rubber grease, something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Red-Rubber-Brake-Grease-Caliper-Fluid-/400183080384?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5d2cc535c0

those pads were came from those calpers...they are old....but the thickness looking good for me....do u guys susgest i reuse them?
As stated above, use a new ones.

When trying to get pistons out I have in the past drilled, tapped and jacked them out using a m 6 or 8 screw when all else has failed, this is a last resort and the body of the calliper must be checked for damage after removal of piston.

Hi guys, let put it updated that I put those calipers to the car now with new genuine pads today and test it... What happen was the When the Pads come to contact the disc, it making rubbing noice, and the feeling of the beaking isn't as good as what people had describe it the AT, is something wrong? Or should I need bit of time to let pads to bed in? Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

Ok a couple of things to check.

Did you correctly bleed them and certain there's no air left in them?
How many miles have you done to bed them in?
Did you grease all the moving parts where required?

Yes, all been putting copper grease..today I found out rubbing noice is now gone...I don't drive fast so I don't really have change to proper test the difference ATR calipers make to this car.. and yes, I use three bottles of genuine brake fluid to bled them out... I'm worry the pistons...

Hi guys, I report that my calipers is spot on with the tourer... Will get even better with new disc soon I will think...thanks again fahad...you are my star!!

Hey I didn't do anything but thanks ;) Glad you're enjoying your new stopping power B)

Yes you did fahad, and thanks for all the guys who give me the info and the knowledge...