What's new

Issue with boot catch jamming in cold weather

SimonG

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2iCTDI 2004
I have had my 2004 Tourer Sport for a while now but every winter I get the same issue and I really want to try and fix it properly as it is getting annoying now I have a baby around.......

Sometimes when the air temperature is cold (down near freezing) and I shut the boot it doesnt 'catch' and I can then lift the boot without pressing the button, I cant use the car with it like this for fear of the boot springing open when driving. It also occasionally happens that the boot 'catches' but then it wont open when I press the button. I can solve each problem by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and then reconnecting, this seems to reboot the car and then it works fine again. I have kept a 10mm spanner in the car for the last 3 winters just for this purpose but I am now keen to fix it properly.

Can anyone give me an idea which part is at fault? I think it must be an electrical issue (rather than mechanical) because disconnecting the battery solves it every time. Is there a part I can replace that should fix this? I would welcome any insight into this issue.....

Thanks,
Simon

I'm not exactly sure where to look, but the tourer uses a motor to pull the hatch shut the last couple of cm's before it latches, and this releases again when opening.
What your boot close and if you don't see it pull in the last little bit then I'm guessing this motor isn't running correctly, possibly because it hasn't sensed the boot being closed.