What's new

Issue with pads and disc's (Pic heavy)

Schmee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport CL7
A little while ago now, I updated my pads to EBC ones. I thought everything had gone as good as it could go, but have been there is something quite not right.

On the inner circle of the disc, there is a reddish circular line that has been there ever since I changed the pads.

The pads seem to be in contact ok, but I'm almost sure the the pad has not been correctly settled into the caliper. See pics below:

Don't know if there are any rules on pic size, or how to resize them so apologies if its wrong.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

It only seems to affected the rear pads as the front pads/disc's look normal, look below

IMG_0138.jpg

Any ideas on what this could be and or solution are most welcome!!!!

Here is a pic for lol's, not washed my car in a while, and I thought id have a new paint job done, called alabama silver and "MUD"!!

IMG_0135.jpg

Do the pads move freely in the carrier?? do they get very hot and smell??

Looks like you may have eneven pad wear from pad sticking in the carrier. The ebc pads come with loads of paint on the ends and need to be sanded / filed down so they can move in the carriers properly. I have had about four sets of ebc pads and only one moved freely without any fettling.

Do the pads move freely in the carrier?? do they get very hot and smell??

Looks like you may have eneven pad wear from pad sticking in the carrier. The ebc pads come with loads of paint on the ends and need to be sanded / filed down so they can move in the carriers properly. I have had about four sets of ebc pads and only one moved freely without any fettling.

I can't smell them, and I don't think they get hot.

I don't think they can move freely within the carrier. Could you show me where abouts I would need to sand/file down this paint?

Thanks

That pad is definitely not seated\mounted correctly. It should be parallel to the face of the disk.

To me that ring on your disc under the pad looks like rust and pitting. That will be hard to get rid of through just driving as the pad will wear down quicker than the rust will get worn away.

The lip on the inside edge of the disc is pressing against the pad which will also cause a bad contact surface, possibly contributing to or more likely causing the problem. There is also a big lip on the outside edge of the disc too.

My advice would be to get new discs as they look a few miles past their best. Failing that get the discs skimmed and the edges taken off.

Matt

To me that ring on your disc under the pad looks like rust and pitting. That will be hard to get rid of through just driving as the pad will wear down quicker than the rust will get worn away.

The lip on the inside edge of the disc is pressing against the pad which will also cause a bad contact surface, possibly contributing to or more likely causing the problem. There is also a big lip on the outside edge of the disc too.

My advice would be to get new discs as they look a few miles past their best. Failing that get the discs skimmed and the edges taken off.

Matt

Ok, just so you know, that the ring underneath the pad wasn't there before I changed the pads. So it leaves me to think it was something to do with the pads.

I'll look at replacing the discs, might aswell whilst I've got newish pads ok.

Thanks

Hang on, is that the rear pads and do you have a saloon?

If so, you've made the mistake I did the first time I ever did my rear pads. You need to ensure that the piston slot markings are horizontal facing when you wind it back to final position.

This is to allow the little tab on the pad to sit inside one of the slots. If you don't, then the piston pushes unevenly against the back of the pad causing uneven wear.

think Fahad has cracked this one... :) those rear calipers are a pain to wind back on the saloon, not sure how easy using the right tool makes it, but I ended up having to use a pair or grip pliers and took forever winding them back, going to get a caliper wind back tool though, makes it much easier LOL

Sorry, my mistake.

I was looking at the last 2 pictures and saw the front caliper, not realising all the previous pictures were of the rear calipers.

Them rear discs still look quite worn though.

Matt

Yes sorry, all the pics are of the rear pads/discs. I did wind back the caliper to the horizontal position, but it looks like I will have to investigate it further and see what they are in.

Thanks for all your help people.

Lee, even though it might look like the slots were horizontal, you need to push the pad into the caliper before fitting to check the tab sits inside the slot as it's not a bang on horizontal position for them. I did mine just yesterday so know this.

Lee, even though it might look like the slots were horizontal, you need to push the pad into the caliper before fitting to check the tab sits inside the slot as it's not a bang on horizontal position for them. I did mine just yesterday so know this.

Okie dokie, I'll have a look next weekend at this.

Bloody pain in the *** cars!!!

Cheers guys

Right, so I had a look this weekend and brought my partners brother who's a mechanic. I and he took everything apart and back together and then he said something that made me think.

He said that the inner discoloration on the disc could be the adhesive on the brake pad bonding on the disc

. In your opinion could this be an option?

Does he mean the adhesive that bonds the pad friction materials to the backing plate?

If so - how is that coming in contact with the disc?

Does he mean the adhesive that bonds the pad friction materials to the backing plate?

If so - how is that coming in contact with the disc?

Nope, the EBC pads I bought had a reddish colour on the pad (which contacts to the disc)

If that makes sense

he's on about the break in material that ebc put on which wears off after a couple hundred miles. I'm replying via phones so cant see the pics well but its not due to that, and your discs need changing why you didn't do them now coz your gonna need new pads again. But once the pads wear to the face of the discs that'll go away that ring will go away providing they were installed correctly.
P.s save yourself some money, you dont need red pads on the back ;-)

Sal's right - it's just the break in coating on EBC performance pads. I still think it's the rear piston not aligned correctly which is causing uneven mating of the friction surfaces...