What's new

It didnt rattle before but it will now...

davecmr

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Sport Diesel
Fitted my reversing camera to my tourer today and I have to say those metal clips are horrendous been plastic welding stuff back together.... ooops

Also the trims around the headlinging/boot lid area are a pain too, took some getting back together.

So I made my cable up plugged it in and thought I'd test the camera before I take anything apart, well it wouldnt work at all and I had wired it pin 7 & 2 jumpered and 4 & 5 video and thought maybe it was wrong so I tried it the other way joining 6 & 7 and still nothing. Well I was starting to pull my hair out and checked and double checked and still nothing...... Was about to fetch the DVD player out of the house and try that when suddenly I thought I wonder what happens if I put the car into reverse (after remembering reading somewhere that the screen will go blank if no camera is connected when you put the car in reverse)..........

And guess what, it worked.... what a numpty lol

Well done mate :unsure: good story lol

Hope you don`t have the same problems I`ve had after fitting a reverse camera. Where did you take the power from for the camera and how did you connect it

I was just thinking this same thing. Don't want to scare you Dave(davecmr) but DaveM has possibly damaged his ECU or at the least has a wiring problem which is giving him an ECU error each time he puts the car into reverse. Having said that, a few members have installed reverse camera's without issue so it might be a one off but do be careful.

Bear in mind the wiring in these cars is multiplexed which means a single cable might be carrying multiple signal streams down it.. by splicing into one, you may damage or affect something else.

Yeah, Sorry, I don`t want to scare you. I`m almost sure its a combination of things and not just the camera. Like Fahad has said others have fitted one without any problems so it could just be down to me botching it up.

A diagnostics check at Holdcroft yesterday found a faulty brake switch so I`m hoping that is somehow causing the fault, what with todays modern car wiring all being interconnected in some way. I don`t know if I mentioned it yesterday Fahad but for a day or two whenever I braked the satnav screen would dim into night colours and back to day colours when I took my foot off the brake. So I`m hoping that there is some connection somewhere. Its sorted itself out now.

Dave, you didn't mention that.. but yep you're right, it's all related and the multiplex wiring means it's all related.

As suggested yesterday, I would say it's best to return your car to standard and take every bit of electronics out that you've retrofitted.. resolder each wire and heatshrink it individually to ensure good connection and then see if the problem is cured.

Also, remember to disconnect your battery and let it discharge a while before you go splicing any wiring etc.

Camera + is soldered into the reverse light + about 1cm before the plug that goes into the bulb holder and the Camera negative is on a crimp on ring terminal thing and i've earthed it to one of the bolts that holds the rear light cluster in.

davem what other mods have you done to your car electrical wise?

Thats basically how I did mine apart from the earth. Initially I just spliced into the 2 wires that came from the reverse light but afterwards found some small spade connectors that pushed into the back of the bulb holder because my soldering isn`t that good. Is it best practice to earth to the body rather than use the bulb earth?

I`ve also fitted LEDs all round apart from the reverse light because it was causing interference on the satnav screen when in reverse.

The only other thing I`ve done is a forward facing camera in front of the rear view mirror just for evidence that any bumps weren`t my fault (hopefully), but that just gets its power from the cig lighter socket.

Oh and HIDs

Not really sure on the earthing situation as I'm not an auto electrician, I'm sure someone will be able to tell us tho.

Here's a picture (taken with a Blackberry so not the best camera) personally I'm well happy with the quality as the camera was only £18 delivered.

camera.jpg

Thats just how mine looked before I disconnected it. I`ve ordered a new brake pedal switch so when I`ve fitted that hopefully it will cure the problem. I don`t know if you`re aware but the problem I have is a warning light coming on in the form of a flashing glow plug light and "check system" in the dash display. This comes on when I put the car in reverse occasionally, whether the camera is connected or not. Although having said that it has come on tonight when I turned my lights on. It`s all very strange, we`ll see what a new brake pedal switch does on Wednesday.

I wasnt aware of the problem let me know what happens when you get the new switch fitted and i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.