What's new

It is silly to buy a 13 year old type s?

markquinton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex 2.0 i-vtec
Hi Guys

Sorry for all the questions.

I might be going to look at this type s tomorrow:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512129411229?make=honda&sort=default&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&price-to=4500&postcode=NR10%203SA&search-target=usedcars&page=2&fuel-type=petrol&model=accord&radius=70&logcode=p

It looks good in the photographs and has low mileage for the year at 75k but i am just struggling with the idea of buying such an old motor. Realistically i am only looking for the car to last me a year or two and to be solidly reliable whilst offering good performance and able to put a smile on my face. I would be looking to offer 2.5k max for the car and appreciate i can get newer cars for similar money such as a Mazda 6 and other accords but i've always fancied a pre-facelift type s in blue.

Any thoughts as to whether it's worth a look or is an unwise purchase at this cost.

Regards

Mark

strangely, the full MOT history does not come up on the .gov website
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

compare it with your Avensis (on my car and other cars that I know, MOT history goes back several years)

I'm not saying it's a bad omen there could be a reasonable explanation e.g. reg plate was previously a "private" one, if so look on the V5, get the previous reg, then check the MOT history. If you can't get it, then think "might have been clocked".

But the BIG thing to watch out for at that mileage is the clutch, which is a major job on this car (to get the gearbox out, the subframe has to be removed, and to remomve the subframe, the exhaust has to be removed)

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

I was slightly concerned that the leather side bolster was more worn that I might of expected at this mileage.

edgeoftime said:
That is another brilliant find, "THEY" will soon know what we had breakfast. LOL
it does say what the MOT tester had for breakfast (beans on toast where I take my cars), what does it say at the test station that you go to ?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, (I already have an exec model) but I bought mine with the same intension something reliable for a year or so, now over 2 years later my 150k mile 2.4 is still going strong and I don't have any intension of changing it yet!
Still a modern looking car I think.
Maybe look at one with a few more miles so the clutch has been done?

looks in good nick but tbh, honda engines are pretty solid tho and if you are only looking to keep the car for a couple of years, i wouldn't worry too much about finding a low mileage one unless you are looking at trying to get some good money back when you resell it. You can pick up slightly higher mileage accords for alot less money. But for peace of mind, lower mileage cant hurt! I doubt the clutch needs changing at 75k unless it was regularly raced, which in that stock condition and low mileage i wouldnt have thought so. I have the same colour and spec, apart from mine came with the stock 16's instead of the upgraded 17 pentas, which i do have now however lol. Those lovely wheel arch gaps also remind me of when i bought my car haha!

Hi.
These engines are very good. I wouldn't afraid of the age as long as you check properly for age related problems eg. rust , oil leaks , etc. I think the mileage and service history is more important than just age. Me ,myself just bought 3 weeks ago 2003 2.4 exec with 100k and I can say the car is spot on. Good luck with hunting.

Hi Mark,

I've got the same spec, but Tourer. The car looks very nice, I'm not sure if it seems expensive in the UK, but in our country all Hondas are ridiculously expensive.
Unfortunately, the early K24 engines are known for noticeable oil consumption when pushed hard (1l or 1,5l / 5000kms). You can search on the forum, there are a lot of threads. US Hondas/Acuras suffer from the same thing. Also, make a really good inspection of the rear wheel arches, if there's rust showing, it will grow very quickly, if not fixed.
Personally, for me, the type s without a reflash doesn't feel that quick, but it handles much nicer than many other cars in the same class. I'm still amazed how long the gears are.

cheers,
Alex

ukcl9 said:
my cl9 is 13years old.i brought it 2 years ago with 80kmiles.its had a new clutch,new exhaust as old one was rotton,and 2 ball joints,now has 117k miles on the clock,still going strong.
Thats nothing :) Mine CL7 has got 190k miles and still driving like new.

As above, bought mine as a stop gap and still have it a year on. Can't really justify replacing it as it seems reliable enough and is only used once or twice a week.

I bought my 03 type s a month ago on 98k, just watch out for rear rust on the arches, any holes in the exhaust, and the clutch, my clutch feels stiff and bite point is low so may need changing soon, but I love it drives nice and smooth and has a good power. Also check if your windows work as mine needed a new regulator and my VSA light was on aswell, but both sorted now

ive just bought a 2004 Type S tourer with 80k on the clock to replace my blown diesel Accord I'm loving it.

Cheers for all the responses. I'm struggling to find a decent one, looked at a couple but looked great in pictures but poor in reality. I am probably going to buy based on condition and the two good accords i've found do not have the 2.4 engine unfortunately.