What's new

It's my MOT today

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
So the car's in for its MOT today. It had a full Honda service in February, and was advised on my rear drop links and front drop link bushes. So I'm expecting it to fail on those. But with the car now 9 years old, I do worry it might turn up something more sinister. Fingers crossed all's ok.

On the plus side, I've been given a Jazz for a courtesy car. I have to say, I am always surprised at how much I enjoy driving the Jazz. Ok compared to the 2.4 the engine's little more than a hamster wheel, but I reckon with wider alloys and some Eibach's and maybe tweaking (upgrading) the exhaust and air intake the Jazz could be a lot of fun for a daily run around. I reckon the chassis is actually quite a nice handler. I wonder if anyone has bothered to mod a Jazz or if they're considered too much of an old ladies car.

Depending if they've been done or not you could be looking at the front compliance bushes.

Goodluck mate, hate M.O.T day as we all do. :wacko:

Good luck bud.

I always get nervous on MOT day. Both my cars are due around the same time so double stress. Good luck today!

Well the good news it the drop links are ok. The loose play is within the boundaries for MOT failure.

The bad news is a side light and registration light need replacing ;) .

The actual bad news is that my near side headlamp aims too high and they can't get it to adjust low enough. They're still investigating it. I replaced the adjustor a while back as I was advised it was going to fail the MOT because the old one was seized. So despite removing the seized one and replacing it with a fully working one, the issue persists. I hope there's not something wrong with the actual headlamp ***embly as that will be pricey.

I will update when I know more.

Hopefully won't cost you too much mate!!

BTW, guy on the HCF just started modding a Jazz........My link

Ok, bit of communication breakdown there. Spoke to the less helpful (more dozy guy) guy on the phone which had only confused matters. I spoke to the other guy after and when I arrived had a chat with the mechanic who did the MOT. Turns out the headlamp adjuster I fitted was absolutely fine, except that for a strange reason the push rod inside it just came up a couple millimetres too short. Can't think why, and the mechanic couldn't explain it either. But all he did was take the head lamp off and adjust the mounting brackets a couple of millimetres so that when he reattached the headlamp it all aligned nicely and well within the boundaries of MOT regulations.

It was both my side lights and a registration plate light in the end. So all in it was £46. Can't complain at that. I get the MOT free as I get the car serviced at Honda. So I'm pleased.

Advisories on the following:

Front breaks getting low (could explain the squeaking). Not really a major problem. These things happen.
Small hole in the exhaust - should be good for a while but wow! Replacements are expensive on the 2.4 nearly £600 parts alone. I could fit a Skunk 2 for that. Will be wanting advice in the future on that one I reckon.

The self levelling mechanism isn't working. The headlamp adjustors work, but something's not working between the sensors, control unit and adjusters. Not really a major issue now, but could be part of next year's MOT and so will be an issue in the future. Will also be picking your lovely Accord filled brains on that one too soon.

Thanks for the good lucks and as always, I've been pleasantly surprised at how few things have been an issue with my MOT on the Honda.

Cheers.

Good result Steven these cars rarely fail MOT;S :)

Yeah well done Steven...

Had my MOT today as well and was half expecting to fail on something. Other than a couple of advisories it sailed through...

It sailed through last year as well (hence sort of expecting something to go wrong this year). As Brett says it appears these cars rarely fail MOT's and I would agree with him based on my own experiences..

Cheers guys. Yeah, this is the third MOT I've had with the Accord. First one sailed through, second one they had to bodge repair the seized headlamp adjuster, this time despite the new headlamp adjuster, there still needed a little tweaking with headlight alignment and that was it. Nothing serious.

My worry though is next year's potential change to the MOT rules and the fact my auto-adjusters don't actually do anything on account of either the sensors or the control unit. Hopefully this can be sorted without costing the earth, but with electrical issues, you can never be too sure can you.

And obviously the leaking exhaust. It's not blowing and is a way off. Might see if I can get it patched up. Don't fancy buying a new exhaust.

But these are things to worry about another day. Right now I have a road legal car for 12 months and as usual, I've been a worry wart for no reason. After all, I'm driving a Honda ;) .

Glad it got sorted dude! 9 times out of 10 there is never anything major wrong with the Accords to get them through the MOT.

That Jazz is savage. Exactly what I was meaning, lowered and more powerful, I reckon they'd be soooo much fun :lol: . Went out last night and there was a significant and noticeable difference in the height of the nearside beam. It was much lower. It's very easy to tell with the focussed beam of the HIDs. So in all, it was very much worth doing as I do get flashed a lot driving at night. Hopefully not anymore.