What's new

It's the little things in life!

AdamG

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord i-ctdi
I turned the key this evening, after a long but productive day in Leicestershire. And, you know what? I was struck by how sweet the starter motor sounds as it turns over! About 3 turns to fire up, but a silky smooth sound as it spins! The more knowledgeable of you will put me straight for sure, but I believe the Accord has a pre-engaged Bendix type starter system (?).

My dad had an australian 1968 Chrysler Valiant V8 when I was a lad. He's sadly no longer with us, but I seem to recall that it made a similar sound - followed by a V8 burble, Natch! I think this has been standard kit on most American cars for years, and Sue's '00 Civic Coupe made a similar sound on start-up too.

Compare to any '80's or early '90's Ford! They sound like a Con Rod just fell out! lol

Now that was a CJ observation if ever I read one :lol:

Err.. not sure what to say but that's some love for your motor :lol:

Oops! Maybe I should contain my enthusiasm! lol

But, chaps? You know I'm right!

that must have been a long day to start thinking like that

i would say every car that is built now has a pre-engaged starter and probably has been like that for a good few years now

You're probably right, Paul. But neither of my 6th Gen Accords sounded quite like this one, and I racked up a combined mileage of 175k over 7 years or so.

The bad news is I've got a cracked headlamp lens and, from the posts on the forum, I'm looking at handing over the readies for a new unit before the ticket in april! :blink:

Adam sounds like a good excuse to do a facelift headlight conversion B)

Yeah the starter motor is sourced from Audi B)

I am loving this guys enthusiasm for his motor. I also think that i-ctdi is a sweet sounding diesel but have never really considered the starter motor as a nice sound. Now that he mentions it though.... :rolleyes:

hmm never really noticed the ictdi to have a nice starter motor... mind you i never really notice an ictdi anyway...after all their reincarnations of fallen tractors only thing missing is red diesel :p

Hate something, change something...

I love my diesel roar :p