What's new

jerkiness in low gear

stuart mcquade

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.4 type s
hi everyone, i have just noticed that my type-s 2.4 manual 2003 drives erratically sometimes in 1st and 2nd gear , it happens at low revs (1500-2000) and feels very much like kangaroo juice (remember when you had your first couple of driving lessons and the car would jerk back and forth when you hadn't mastered the accelerator/clutch control) it is as though the revs are blipping up down but the rev counter does not show this and it is only slight not as bad as when learning to drive. I was wondering if this would be an ignition fault i.e. misfiring at low revs and whether a warning light would come on if there was an ignition fault. Any members come across this problem before and have any remedies . cheers

I remember when I first bought my 2.4 I was doing this all the time simply as I'd come from a 90bhp diesel and could control the accelerator for ***** :lol: !

What I will say though, is I thought mine was behaving a little like this over the winter. I was worried it might even be related to something to do with the drive shaft, wishbones or something like that as it would often pinch during low rev pulling away, slow cornering, parking etc, but in the high revs she still seemed ok really. It was very confusing. But then it had it's big 8 year service last month in which all the filters (except fuel) and fluids and spark plugs were replaced. She purrs like a sleeping tiger now, smooth as butter in the low revs, and obviously romps in high revs too.

In my instance I would think the main emphasis would be the air filter and the spark plugs.

Does this sound like it might be of any relevance to you? What kind of mileage are you on? When was it last serviced?

only had the car a week it is on 82000 miles and last stamp in the book was for 80000 miles last august but then again that is only an ink stamp in a book , prob best to check plugs and filter with my own eyes. thanks for that.

only had the car a week it is on 82000 miles and last stamp in the book was for 80000 miles last august but then again that is only an ink stamp in a book , prob best to check plugs and filter with my own eyes. thanks for that.

Yeah, I'm with Steve on this - my own was running ok, but seriously benefited from a 75k overhaul with the following Oil, Air filter, Cabin filter, sparks, manual transmission fluid, greasing of suspension components, etc. Runs well now and feels much more like a newer car! :)

I was the same when i first bought my type s too as it was my first ever car with a drive by wire throttle so at every junction unintentionally i was setting off kangarooing and getting lots of weird looks, lol. :lol: Took a week or so to get used to it, but i still miss a regular cable throttle

When I changed from a diesel to petrol I was jerky between gear changes.
This lasted 1 week until I got used to the VTEC lol

been out in the car a few more times since my first post on this subject and i can defo say has improved a lot so probably is just a case of "getting used" to my motor and its very sensitive throttle. thanks to all for advice.

The 2.4 can jump like fully charged Duracell bunny if you're not super gentle with the throttle. It's a great engine ;)