What's new

jumping out of gear

stunottingham

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord Diesel
Help and advice needed please. My 2006 facelift 6 speed diesel Accord jumped out of 5th gear on the motorway the other day and now won't stay in gear under any load whatsoever. All other gears are fine. It feels like it goes into 5th fine, no crunching or notchiness. However, I've noticed when at standstill with engine running and clutch down, I can put it in any gear except 5th.

I've had the car since 160,000 miles and it's now done 193,000 - I have no record of gearbox oil being changed. I've ordered gearbox oil and I'll change this week. If this doesn't sort it I'm thinking of just leaving it and living without 5th which isn't too bad. My questions is, do you think the rest of the gearbox will hold up? We are taking our (fairly hefty) caravan to French Alps and Ardeche in the summer - about 1600 miles of towing. The last thing I want is a breakdown or gearbox failure. The old girl took the caravan to Croatia and back last year with no problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There's lots of used gearboxes available for £150 or less but I don't fancy changing it myself. Any idea on labour time / costs for a garage to do this?

From the symptoms sounds like a synchro issue with 5th gear. Either way will need to strip gearbox to find out which can be costly.
Maybe a second hand box will be better.
Labour wise it will take a good few hours to do, maybe all day.

Thanks Type R. I've been driving it now for nearly 2 weeks with no 5th gear and it doesn't bother me. Happy to leave it like that. I've replaced transmission fluid which predictably hasn't cured it but should minimise any more wear.

Does anyone have any idea if worn / faulty 5th gear synchro would mean I'm any more likely for this to happen to any other gears? The box feels smooth and perfectly normal and fine in all other gears at the moment.

Thanks Saj. Checked linkages and cables today and all look / feel fine. Spoke to my local garage who reckon around £250 plus VAT to fit used gearbox - plus around £100 for the used box. He reckons no other gears should be effected and I'll be fine using 4th and 6th. I'd spend the £400 to keep the car on the road but I'd prefer £400 in my pocket and no 5th gear. Cheers guys.

I ran a VW Passat which had a crunch when coming from 4th to 3rd so decided to go 4th to 2nd instead. Ran that for 2+ years like that

yes sounds like 5th gear synchro has got damaged the part itself is only a few pounds however labour will around £200 mark so in theory strip and rebuild would be about £250 mark you can buy synchro from honda or htune.

stunottingham said:
I'd prefer £400 in my pocket and no 5th gear. Cheers guys.
Stuart You may be happy to drive it without 5th gear under normal circumstances but towing a caravan through the alps could another story.

Ned. It'll be fine. It's only at 3000rpm @70mph in 4th and I certainly won't be going faster than that with the van on the back (although the towing speed limit is 130kph in France!) I used to use 5th a bit when towing but 4th more often. I've already driven 300 miles with the van since 5th gave up. Good flexible engine the CTDi.