What's new

Just bought another one !

flyerphil

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Honda Accord SE
I have sold my trusty W plate SE (Balkai Green) to some friends and now bought another one (mid metalic blue).

Its a 52 plate SE with the new bumper design and silver strips instead of fake walnut. Got it home - oh no - whining noise when I turn steering wheel. Just checked - PS fluid on low mark, phew hope its that.

Also noticed on this one no digital clock ?

I think the upholstery is a big improvement.

On way back, it didn't seem to do that well on mpg - EGR blocked perhaps?

Also damn it - no spare wheel. Has anybody got one for sale? Its got alloys, but steel will do for a spare.

Lots to keep me occupied with in the next few weeks.

flyerphil said:
Also noticed on this one no digital clock ?
Nope, no idea what Honda was thinking (same story for the S2000 too)! Though IIRC I think they just used the stereo's clock. Just get an after market unit and job's a goodun'. I looked into swapping the storage area for a clock from the older car but I couldnt find the wiring to power it so I just gave up.

The ones with an auto AC have a digital clock, it's on the AC control unit...

Thanks for the replies. Yes the clock is in the radio and also the AC unit.

I have a leak from the power steering system - one of the pipes. Local garage is going to have a go at repairing it next week.

Still trying to sorce a spare wheel.

Thanks

Are your wheels 4 stud?
If you can get to Nottingham I've got 4 steels with good tyres to get rid of,yours for scrap value.

Power steering leak fixed. Got a spare wheel for it. Just repainted some scuffs on bumpers.

The rattle from the back is the exhaust I think (its had a new section).

I think these cars are really good value now. I paid £550 for it and got £40 for the huge sub woofer that was in the back. I have paid out £45 for a spare wheel, £45 to fix the steering leak and £15 for paint. So £615 so far for a very decent 52 plate motorcar. I will be driving it to Scotland next week and will check the mpg. The MOT runs out in December - so will see if I get a shock then. However I get the impression these cars are pretty rugged. I checked its record and its only failed one MOT in its life - tyres and beam aiming only.

Still dreaming of a Type V, though.

At the price you can get them for, its almost worth buying 3 or 4 and putting them in storage.

flyerphil said:
I get the impression these cars are pretty rugged.
I owned one 10 years and did 140000 trouble-free miles in it. Apart from pipe corrosion caused by salty UK winter roads, they are completely rock solid.

It makes me laugh when people criticise Swindon-built Hondas. The current No. 1 in the UK reliability charts, the Jazz, is also built in Swindon.

The old cars built in Swindon were rock solid. The new ones have plenty of build issues, just look them up, the criticism of Swindon didn't come from nowhere.

Update.

The rattle from the back is now confirmed: drop link(s) and roll bar bushes. The people at Kwik Fit diagnosed it on their MOT ramp. I must say I think Kwik Fit give very good service - didn't charge me anything, but I gave the guy a drink.

Info: Where ALL 6th generation built in Swindon? My first one was a pre face lift and I think slightly better build quality. The one I have now (52 plate) seems less good, although the new front bumper design deems better. The early ones all seem to wear out the side mounting clips - leaving an ugly gap.

Yes all 6th gens, well apart from the Coupe which was American made are built in Swindon. Not surprised you find the pre facelifts better built. *All post 2000 Swindon made models seem to not have the first class build quality you would ***ociate with Honda!

*slight generalisation!

exec said:
Yes all 6th gens, well apart from the Coupe which was American made are built in Swindon. Not surprised you find the pre facelifts better built. *All post 2000 Swindon made models seem to not have the first class build quality you would ***ociate with Honda!

*slight generalisation!
Thanks exec for that info.

exec said:
All post 2000 Swindon made models seem to not have the first class build quality you would ***ociate with Honda!
And yet the current Jazz from Swindon takes No 1 reliability spot ;)

Mechanical reliability is another topic, having rattles, trim falling etc is another issue, the 8th gen Civic as an example seemed to have so many reported issues, mechanically bombproof, but build quality issues which would stem from quality of workmanship.