What's new

Just changed the transmission fluid

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi,

Just to tell that I have replaced the transmission fluid on my 1.8, year 2000 Accord. It was starting to get difficult to get the gears in when the engine/transmission was still cold. Bought 2.5 litres of Honda MTF at the local Honda dealer, replaced the old one with it, and voilá, it seems that I have a new gear box :D

^^ says who?

In fact I did the gearbox oil on the Polo only last weekend (after a little eff up) and just like Pedro, feels like a new box.

Yes , changing gearbox oil and clutch fluid every now and again makes a huge difference on any car. I change my clutch and gearbox oil once a year ( even though Honda recommend every 3 years ) and it keeps the car nice and fresh. ( worth the small investment in the fluids if you think how much a new/recon gearbox is !! )
I Always use Honda MTF and its of very high quality. I've Used other makes of MTF before and it's not as good as the Honda stuff.

Yep Honda's love the proper Honda MTF and ATF.. Don't underestimate how much R&D Honda spend in getting their fluids right.

sorry to highjack, but on the subject of transmission fluid, how much should I be paying for the Honda oil??

It seems like a good idea to change it.. :(

sorry to highjack, but on the subject of transmission fluid, how much should I be paying for the Honda oil??

It seems like a good idea to change it.. :(

I think Honda charge around £12 a litre for me. Again price can vary from dealer to dealer. I've heard of people taking there own can and getting that filled from Honda

I payed about 24€ for 2.5 liters + the two crush washers. Only 2 liters are needed, I bought 2.5 liters, just in case....

7th gen diesel will need 2.2 litres and petrol 1.9 litres. In the UK it's only sold in 1 litre quantities to the public I think.

I have my ATF on order for today, once you have refilled to level do you need to run the car and select the gears and then check the level again?? It doesn't mention in the workshop manual but I have been advised this is normal procedure??

Where I bought the Honda MTF, they only had 25 liters packs, but they were happy to sell me just 2.5 litres. I just took a bottle from home, and they filled it up :(

Yeah a gearbox fluid change is a great thing to do as its one of the most neglected things. I use Amsoil Syntetic MTF.

I have my ATF on order for today, once you have refilled to level do you need to run the car and select the gears and then check the level again?? It doesn't mention in the workshop manual but I have been advised this is normal procedure??

No you don't need to do that.