What's new

K&N Air filter

Bludclot

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4i Exec
Morning All,
(Apologies is this topic is already on here, i had a look prior to writing this)
for some reason i keep looking at this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-Typhoon-Air-Filter-Intake-System-Honda-Accord-VIII-2-4-F-I-03-08-Non-US-/380663360439?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58a14debb7#ht_2559wt_1300

Has anyone fitted this bit of kit to a 2.4?
How much extra HP would it give you? enough to warrant the price ?
I'm only investigating this option at the moment.......

..... but it look so nice !!

Certainly not worth that money mate! That's crazy. People normally pay around £250 for a K&N, a little less than that for an AEM brand intake. See here for a K&N at £250ish mark.

But still, some things to consider: It makes more noise under heavy acceleration, increases the chance of hydrolock in wet weather and maintenance of the filter is a pain in the back side as you need to take the front bumper off just to check if your air filter is too dirty or not :rolleyes: . I have a cold air intake by the way ;) .

Fahad fitted one on his Brother's 2.4 (7th Gen) and dyno'd it. Running the cold air intake and Shell V-Power there was a noticeable increase on a dyno. I think maybe 6 or 7 BHP or something. There's a thread somewhere if you search for it.

Or, if like me, you begrudge paying £200 on a bit of pipe, you could DIY it ;)

Cheers Steve , some good enlightenment there, many thanks.
Increased risk of Hydrolock is a bit worrying.
As an ex-shipwright and now draughtsman, i might investigate doing a DIY, a bit later in the year, could be interesting.
Nice write up on it btw B)

Really, i should be concentrating on my imminent Caliper Job !!

Yeah, if you have access to metal fashioning machinery, DIY it mate. Mandrel Bends are a marketing ploy in my opinion, not really necessary for road cars at all, but justification to charge a lot of extra money for a piece of pipe! I really can't get over how much these arms for the filters are.

The Hydrolock is just something bear in mind. If you DIY it, you can sit the filter higher up, at the top of the recess, a little like I did. This keeps it further off the ground and away from puddle splashes. I recently crawled at about 1mph through a ford. Drove gently for a while after. It was a brown trousers moment, but the car was fine. I avoid puddles and drive like a granny in the wet, but from what I've read hydrolock is very unlikely.

That said, recently one of our members with an imported 7th gen Euro-R was running a CAI and blew his engine in the rain :( . Now the rain was unusually heavy and the road began to flood and I think his CAI was right by the floor, but it's proof that it does happen.

Anyway, it's all food for thought.