What's new

K20A Type R (EP3) Engine into CL7!

FL45H

Reaction score
Car
CL7
K20A Type R engine into CL7

In the last few weeks we have completed a K20A Type R engine swap into a CL7 Accord.

Its been a little while since, and we have had the holidays but ill try and cover everything...

Parts Needed (not much!)
- EP3 Type R engine (Including Intake manifold and throttle body) - Depending on if your CL7 has electric power steering or hydraulic, I would suggest get the EP3 engine that matches for ease.
- Aftermarket Air intake
- Lower radiator hose (We modified one)
- ECU Remap

Differences!
- K20A6 (probably the K24s too) have a slightly different block casting, so the front engine mount you cannot use. Rear Engine/Gearbox mount also will not fit will all bolts (some will).
- Gearbox casing is very different the EP3 gearbox has all mount holes different.
- EP3 has a different gear linkage setup.

Bits you MUST re-use from the CL7
- Gearbox
- Rear engine mount (You wont be using all the bolt holes but its enough
- Drivers Side Engine Mount
- Passenger Side Upper/Lower Gearbox mounts
- Driveshafts
- Intermediate Shaft (Lucky the block on the K20A2 has the holes already there)
- ECU (EP3 has a totally different wiring setup)
- Gear linkage
- Exhaust Manifold complete
- Radiator
- Crank Sensor (Located next to crank pulley, the plugs different)
- Engine Loom
- Starter/Alternator Loom
- Clutch slave/pipework

Sorry I dont have a full step by step guide for the swap but its quite straight forward

- You need to keep the driveshafts and intermediate shaft as they differ in length.
- The Drivers side engine mount needs to be swapped, reuse all the other CL7 mounts apart from the front mount (All Bseries KSWAP dont have this so it will be fine).
- We replaced the clutch on the EP3 engine, It works perfectly fine with the 5 speed accord gearbox (use a EP3 clutch if your us! as the flywheel and clutch is different on the 5 speed accord)
- Re-Use the existing CL7 Engine loom/charge looms, be sure to mark the connectors as the MAP/TPS have the same plugs!
- Install the Accord exhaust manifold
- Swap crank sensor as the plugs different
- Due to the different intake manifold/throttle body location you will need to extend a few of the sensors wiring.
- Top radiator hose can be reused. The lower hose comes out at a different angle, we modified the EP3 one to fit I believe.
- ECU will need a remap, ecu is located inside at the front center. Our ECU code was RBA It was remapped ukcl9 http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/17231-littleboukcl9-cl9cm2-k24-reflashremap-test-ecu/
- Intake pipework can be a issue as the engine compartment fuse box is located in a differenet place to the EP3, and the EP3 intake angle is different to the CL7. We installed a silicon hose with mushroom (EP3)
- You will have 2 electrical connectors not used, one is located at the end of the injetors, and one near the top radiator hose inlet. These are not required.

All in, its quite a simple swap. If you have DBW throttle I dont think you can do this swap. This accord has been running now for the past month with no issues

FHLpGYi.jpg

Congrats on the swap, how does she drive, what other mods is on the car? suspension etc??

.....note to self.... buy a Euro R......

Is there a benefit to this over a k24 with ano EP3 head swap and gearbox bits?

Plus one on how does it drive as I know the k24 has more torque and usually about the same power albeit with the higher vtec crossover

The torque is what pull's the car
However... A very nice job done
How does it feel?

Good job. Did you not contemplate using the ep3 gears in the cl7 housing? The gearing on the stock cl7 is quite bad so changing them would be a big upgrade.

Very useful info there, thanks for sharing.

Whether it's better than a k24 or not is sort of irrelevant really. Modifying is all part of the fun.

Keep it up

Nice job i know the civic boys like to drop the 2.0L type R head on the K24 block i have a m8 thats done this to his early civic think he's running 300bhp with a remap.

Yes lost of torque and power using k24 block with k20 head and ep3 gearing

sent using tapatalk

Hi memebers!
I put same engine in my car Accord CL7 and want to ask for any issue.My engine is full rebuilded and run after this swap.Only issue is little vibrations at 2000rpm.. When car is at idle no problem and no vibrations.In any gear vibrates at 2000rpm ...

Reading that guide it sounds like some if the engine mount bolts haven’t been used? That is likely to cause vibration and possibly add some risk to the safety of the engine being correctly cradled in.

I torque all mounts correct.I have Accord manual instruction of this steps and all is done fine.I dont know what is problem.Not is clutch,when press clutch pedal and hit acceleate pedal to 2000rpm nothing change.Only at 2000rpm mi interior trims creaks from this vibration ...

Memeber write in this posts everything is fine and car run with no issue...

back to check on this post, the car was used about 2 years fine, no problems. Its since been sold.

The front mout its ok without as no KSWAP civic etc use the front mount.