What's new

KB1 Honda Legend 3.5 V6

Uncle_Gravy

Members
Reaction score
Car
09 Accord CU2 Manual
Anyone owned a KB1 Legend? Your impressions, reliability, performance capability etc?

I'm interested giving one a go after i've paid my CU2 off, the main thing that puts me off them is the kinda slow performance for a 300bhp 3.5 V6 (7.1s to 60mph), which is mainly due to the 5sp auto and probably the weight but leaning towards that ancient 5sp auto.

I know someone who owns one, in fact he’s had a few and won’t drive anything else. It has the same 5 speed Honda unit that’s fitted to both the petrol and diesel accords, nothing exciting but decent.

I helped him with an LKAS and CMBS problem recently and went for a good long spin in it, I thought it was a lovely car overall. It’s thirsty to run but like all hondas, very well engineered and easy to live with.

the legend/vigor/inspire did do away with its sportier roots with the 3rd/4th gen, and it's become bit of a landbarge compared to the japanese accords we're used to.
it's sort of gone the way of lexus, but that doesn't mean you won't love it

It's also awd! I'd love to run one, but the road tax kills it for me over the pond.

When I started out looking for a replacement car to replace the hatchback, the Legend was one of those I had a look at. I had owned a Toyota Crown in the late 90's and the one thing I didn't like was the cloth upholstery.
I took a spin in a very late KA9 - maple wood dash - some four years ago and found it not far off the comfort of a Daimler XX that a family member had. Lovely acceleration throughout even with the 4 speed box. From memory the KB1 engine was about 20% more powerful but with a 15% increase in weight it became a lot thirstier. Honda also scrimped on the wood with the later model so I discounted it from the list.

A change in work circumstances meant my choices narrowed down to the Citroen C5 and the Accord Tourers.

If only Honda had made an estate version (or thrown the V6 lump into the Accord) I would have carried on looking.

Somebody offered me an XJS estate (Lynx ?) a decade ago for £3k, I still regret not going back with the cash, but it would probably have rusted away by now.

Ah, it was the Eventer.

the general consensus on imageboards I frequent with predominantly american users where the vcm v6-es are more common, is to stay away due to excessive oil usage, fouled spark plugs and misfires. there was even a lawsuit. I'm sure there was something else but I cannot remember exactly what

this is worth a quick read https://www.vcmtuner.com/pages/honda-acura-lawsuit

What a shame, it's a lovely looking car, Why didn't we get these nice Honda's with V6 :( Curse our backwards country that wants Fiesta's on stilts with a tiny engine or diesel