What's new

keeper madness or not

mikem

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord
my car is a 2001 SE exec accord auto saloon with only 80000 on the clock.
My last MOT was a pass but I was warned that the next one would require some serious welding.
I started to look for a replacement but unless I spend silly money cannot find anything as good.
So I took it in for a preMOT check and an estimate and it passed on everything with flying colours except for the afore warned welding.
This will cost me £550 to have done, it is nasty, up the inner arches.
I will also need 2 new tyres soon @£120 and a Mot @£40.
Thus for just over £700, which I know is more than it is worth, I get at least another years motoring out of a car which I know has a faultless engine , gearbox and electrics.
I know this initially seems illogical but where can I get a reliable car for £700?

What parts will be replaced if the welding goes ahead. It must have serious rust!

mikem said:
I know this initially seems illogical but where can I get a reliable car for £700?
you might but, more likely, you won't

the real comparison price is the £550 (because you wouldn't ordinarily question the cost of 2 new tyres & MOT cost)

As Joe says, what parts will be replaced ?

I ***ume this is the footwell rust that is fairly common on these, if you get to run it for a good few more years then its totally worth it.

exec said:
I ***ume this is the footwell rust that is fairly common on these, if you get to run it for a good few more years then its totally worth it.
The rot is up the inner wheel arches and under the sills, both sides.

It's a no brainer really.....fix fix fix.....depreciation alone on a newbie is bound to be more.

Good luck with the repair :)

Welding sounds expensive but it's not as bad you may be expecting. Keep it and put a few hundred quid away for next year's mot

I've tried to stop thinking in terms of spending more on repairs than the car is worth, in the end if you don't repair you need to replace and if you're happy with your car I think it's better the devil you know in most cases. Especially if its new parts due to wear and age and the car otherwise runs fine.

Just got my 1.8 S back from its MOT after initially failing. Needed 2 new tyres (old ones had plenty of tread, but also some large bulges), headlights failing (polished up lovely with toothpaste), windscreen (crack as long as your arm. Luckily I 'now' am fully comp, hence windscreen cover!), finally corroded brake pipes (thought it could've been all over for the old girl). All that came in under £250, so treated her to a new droplink to replace a VERY clunky one. Got her out on the open road (appreciating a smooth ride sans tyre 'wobble') and thrashed her into the VTEC... It's good to be back! Oil and filter change at the weekend, then off to Cornwall for Easter!
The next expense lurking on the horizon is the cambelt. It's due at 132000 (previous owner did it at 60000, they're every 72000). Anyone any recent experience? I read on here someone did it at a Main Dealer for £200. Anyone else? And is anyone just running theirs til it breaks?

Yes! Me! I've had the following done when I bought it in August.

Both cambelts Inc balance belt.
Balance shaft
Water pump
All tensions
All pulleys
Both auxiliary belts
Coolant change
Valve clearance

Total

£440

(Wasn't the cheapest garage in town, sometimes worth paying for the quality mechanics with the exact knowledge of these cars. I live near the Lakenheath and Mildnehall air bases and the Americans love mk6 accords! I mean they are literally every other car on the road around here. So the local garages know exactly what to do on these engines, and they did a fab job on mine)

Update got a second opinion on welding and now looking at £300. Put on 2 new tyres on the strength of that and now hoping for a happy future.

Update on cambelt change. Rang a few dealerships and it appears to be a fixed price of £210 Inc vat. Valve clearances about another £100. Water pump another £100. So jsmith's list above is spot on (not that I was doubting you!)