What's new

keeping diamond cut alloys new

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
i was very annoyed at my epsilon alloys as over the years they have become a state and really let my car down. so today ive ordered a brand new set of Honda Dynamics alloys from HH. these rims have the diamond cut faces like the epsilons so can anyone tell me their secrets of keeping them as new as poss for as long as poss please? i dont want my new rims to go down the same path as my epsilons....

ive heard poorboys wheel sealent is very good but ive never relally used a sealent before.

i use meguires shampoo for the car paint so i ***ume this will have no bad effects on the rims for a first clean. could i then use a wax before the sealent or is it not worth it?

i have several meguires waxes and a few zymol products that i use on my car paint work if they are of any use with the rims....

find the best wheel sealant and wax you can, before fiting the wheels ensure you get as many coats of sealant and wax on as you can.
keep the wheels clean! this is vital to keeping the look!

Also remove them when the salt starts hitting the roads and use some manky alloys for winter and your new wheels should last for years :)

ok thanks Adam.

can you suggest any decent sealents and waxes please, is the poorboys one any good? i know many use it on here. i have seen rimwax too, which is best? or do you know of any better ones?

Matthew poor boys is very good indeed just apply about 3 coats and that should see you ok for about 3-4 months.

When I had mine I gave them five coats of PB's sealant just to really make sure they where okay. Washing wise I only used VP's billberry safe wheel cleaner.

As a victim to the salt of the road bud, my advice will be KEEP A WINTER SET! It has caused absolute mayhem on my polished rims, and that's with regular cleaning and waxing :(

Intresting thread as my current epsilons are also manky, but like the OP I am planning on replaceing them with some OEM honda diamond cut alloys and have worried about them suffering the same fate.

I have to admit that the idea of changing out my Rages for old epsilons during winter months does phase me, but by the sound of it the alternative is corrosion from salt or a non standard refurb to a poweder coat or more durable finish, something I may consider with the epsilons down the line.

I think the diamond cut finish is amazing, but was probably developed for much more temparate climates such as california or other non british winter motoring climates.

I have recently noticed a lot more high end cars ditching the Diamond cut in favour of darker powder coated finishes especially on the sportier marques.

ive bought some billberry wash and poorboys sealent. on the poorboys tub it states to wax the wheels first. do i just use wax i would use for the paintwork? or just apply lots of coats of wheel sealent?

with sealant, i would always use this first on the 'bare' wheel, then applywax... very interesting they state the opposite

with sealant, i would always use this first on the 'bare' wheel, then applywax... very interesting they state the opposite

Perhaps they mean like normal paintwork Adam.
Wash/ polish /Wax and then a sealant.But TBH all i use is poor boys sealant and nothing else on my wheels.

:lol: Not for me and this will hide up nicely painted callipers ;)

brett.
When washing you should:
wash, polish, seal, wax.

Wax has a much shorter life than sealant.
depnding on which wax, they normally last from 2 weeks to 4 months. sealant will last 6-8months.

so its very common to wash, polish then seal the paintwork with no contaminent. then apply multiple layers of wax.

the wax will degrade and come off the car leaving the sealant if wax is not regularly applied.

if you use sealant over the wax, the sealant has nothing to 'bond' to and will only last as long as the wax that it has bonded too.

brett.
When washing you should:
wash, polish, seal, wax.

Wax has a much shorter life than sealant.
depnding on which wax, they normally last from 2 weeks to 4 months. sealant will last 6-8months.

so its very common to wash, polish then seal the paintwork with no contaminent. then apply multiple layers of wax.

the wax will degrade and come off the car leaving the sealant if wax is not regularly applied.

if you use sealant over the wax, the sealant has nothing to 'bond' to and will only last as long as the wax that it has bonded too.

:unsure: Iv been doing it wrong then :lol: perhaps im getting mixed up as i always apply the AG gloss after as a sealant.

just read it again and it states to wash, polish then seal...... my bad

so if i wash , polish, seal with lots of coats then add wax i should be good to go.

would zymol wax be ok for the last layer? it seems to protect the paint on the body for a decent length of time.

also what polish would you use before adding the sealent?

im not liking the look of the dust protectors either!!!

Auto Glym super resin polish, is a great polish, make sure you work it correctly (loads on info on the net).

use small amounts on a nice microfiber cloth too. less =more with SRP

Take them off the car and put them in a cupboard. its the only solution. The UK's salty roads are cryptonite to diamond cut alloys.