What's new

Key receiver location

morpheous87

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 7
HI,

I want to install an alarm system in my Accord 2004. It has OEM central locking system and it's controlled with the car's key. So I'm interested in the location of this receiver. Where I can find the key's receiver and how it looks like?

Thanks.

The receiver is behind the mirror in the paneling. The central locking is controlled by the MICU. What model of Accord is it?

Satnav doesn't make a difference. The reason I asked about the model of Accord is that some models have the ultrasonic sensors. Unlocking the doors won't be any good unless you actually disable the alarm and sensors in the first place.

Again, all this is controlled via a +B tamper wire into the alarm. The MICU is the primary security device here.

Here's a copy of the description of the alarm:

The security alarm system is armed automatically after the doors, hood, and trunk are closed and locked. For the system to arm, the ignition switch must be off, the key must be removed, and the MICU must receive signals that the doors, hood, trunk are closed and locked. The alarm can be disarmed at any time by unlocking the driver's door with the key or pressing the UNLOCK button on the remote transmitter.

When everything is closed and locked, the only inputs that are grounded, and have 0 volts, are the driver's door lock knob switch (LOCK position), and the audio-HVAC-display unit. In other words, all of the other switches are open, including the key cylinder switches, and they have about 10 volts. The security indicator in the gauge control module begins to flash immediately after the vehicle is complately closed and locked. 15 seconds after the doors are locked with the key the security system arms and the security indicator flashes on for a shorter amount of time than before. If the security indicator does not flash, the system is not arming. A beep to confirm the security alarm system is armed will sound if the LOCK button is pressed a second time within 5 seconds.

If one of the switches is misadjusted or there is a short in the curcuit, the security system will not arm. As long as the control unit continues to receive a ground signal, it senses that the vehicle is not closed and locked, and the system will not arm. Conversely, a switch that is slightly misadjusted can cause the alarm to sound for no apparent reason. In this case, a significant change in outside air temperature, the vibration of a passing truck, or someone bumping into the vehicle could cause the alarm to sound. There is no glass breakage or motion detector feature.

If anything is opened or improperly unlocked after the system is armed, the control unit receives a ground signal from that switch, and the 10 volts reference drops to 0 volts. If the audio-HVAC-display unit is disconnected, the input loses its ground, and the input voltage goes to 10 volts. The system sounds the alarm when any of these things occur:

• A door or the trunk is forced open
  • A door is unlocked without using the key or the remote transmitter
  • The hood is opened
  • The audio-HVAC-display unit is disconnected

When the system sounds the alarm, the horns sound and the exterior lights flash for 2 minutes. The alarm can be stopped at any time by unlocking the driver's door with the key or by pressing any button on the remote transmitter.

My remote locking range is very poor. (2004 Tourer Ex 2.4) Need to hold the keyfob near to windscreen to operate. Have changed batteries and remotes, no difference. But strangely a few months ago it started working OK from a distance, but then after a couple weeks has reverted back.
I would like to check the receiver antenna. How can I get to it? Any instructions?

bear in mind the extra energy resource you'll put on the battery, and it won't take too long to drain it if you don't use the car every day; I do feel the car's on security system should suffice!

inblu said:
My remote locking range is very poor. (2004 Tourer Ex 2.4) Need to hold the keyfob near to windscreen to operate. Have changed batteries and remotes, no difference. But strangely a few months ago it started working OK from a distance, but then after a couple weeks has reverted back.
I would like to check the receiver antenna. How can I get to it? Any instructions?
Battery in the fob needs replacing. Batteries in devices like that have strange behaviour before they give up completely.

Already changed the batteries and fobs, Any tips on how to get to internal remote antenna?

massive thread revival but if like me you've been scrambling for an answer to no avail you might find this helpful.

My key signal range dropped suddenly for both keys, changing key batteries and charging car battery made no difference. re-programming keys also didn't help. At its worst the key buttons would only work as i'm stood by driver's door; even then i had to hold the key close to the window and press hard!

In the end i swapped out the drivers windows/central locking/mirror control unit and re-programmed the keys following the manual key procedure which worked. Everything back to normal now, so put the issue down to a fault with the receiver within the window/lock controls on the driver's door.

Best video tutorial i could find for the programming:

While this thread has revived. Is your car alarm supposed to go off after locking it and opening the door from the inside? I can't seem to set my alarm off intentionally.