What's new

Knocking from rear

jsmith89

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 VTEC Sport
Since I only picked up my mk6 earlier in the week the only things I can pick up on while driving are a noisy rear tyre at exactly 32mph and a very minor knock from the rear. I've eliminated the interior etc. The noise only happens at very low speed 1st gear mainly when you drive over very minor bumps and imperfections etc.

Are anti roll links a common source of the issue or will it be deeper within the suspension setup... any help would be great.

Joe

Drop link failures are very common, but you can check it by getting hold of it while the car is grounded and pulling it firmly, if you get noticeable movement from either ball joint doing that then it needs replacing.

They are only little things both front and rear. I had the same issues with my yaris because they are under so much strain.

Thanks.

Sometime these aren't easy to get off as the nuts are seized - how are you intending to do the job?

Well I've soaked them in wd40 to help the situation and I'll continue to soak them for the next couple of evenings.

I'll try to take them off as normal but if not.... angle grinder.... swearing....and a large hammer!

jsmith89 said:
I'll try to take them off as normal but if not.... angle grinder.... swearing....and a large hammer!
Haha, that's my usual method :)

Quick update. It was a nightmare! A total nightmare! 6 hours.... loads of sweat and swearing teamed with bruises, scraps and scuff, I got there in the end. It was all extremely rotten because the links were the originals. The main problem I had was that everything was rusted up, so I had to cut the bolts off with my grinder.. but because of the multi-link suspension it made everything a tight squeeze and I couldn't a decent angle to cut the links off. After loads of blood, sweat and tears I finally got them changed. The new ones are very chunky with much tougher ball joints and are made of much thicker metal... Knocking noise sorted!!

IMG-20150820-WA0010_zpsihnnjdr6.jpeg

Great job and I like the fact you persevered and changed it yourself.

Where did you get your part from? and what brand is it?