What's new

Knocking Noise Mystery

Peterbfd

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen GT
I have a knocking which sounds like it is coming from the rear of my car although it could just sound as though it is.
It tends to knock more when the car wobbles and when the car come to a stop.

I have now had this problem for nearly a year and have so far taken it to 4 garages.

Each garage has looked at both front and back and can not find anything wrong.
They have checked the whole underneath of the car and everything is fine.

What the heck is it, it is starting to really annoy me.

The knock it not loud and many people don't notice it until I tell them about it, but I do notice it all the time.

Any suggestions, really don't want to take it to Honda as they will charge me a fortune just looking at the car.

Thanks
Peter

IIRC your car is CU2 , 2.0 Saloon.

The exhaust is a straight-through single system from the CAT, maybe see if it wiggles and knocks anything ?

The only other thing is a suspension link, possibly a bush, suspension is multi-link on the back.

Have you shook or sat in and wiggled the seats hard... you may have to replicate the weight movement your body would do in those situations...

P.s. I have a thing for noises in cars lol..

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I believe it is s CU2 (2008 8th Gen petrol 2.0 ES GT)

Exhaust and all suspension parts checked 4 times by all garages and all secure and in good condition.

I have sat and wiggled and even got out of the cars and rocked pushed and pulled and i can not recreate the noise.

The only suggestion was to replace the rear shockers by 1 garage at £250 but it was just a guess.
The shockers have no leaks and I felt wasting £250 was not an option if I still have the noise.

My car is so quiet people have commented on it but when you give it some gas, it comes alive.
I love the quietness of the car and this noise is just getting on my nerves.

PS - Are you able to confirm if my car has a chain cam belt (seem to recall it does but just wanted to double check)

Have you checked the spare wheel, jack and any ***ociated bits that might move about while rolling?

Hi all,

Just an update regarding the knocking noise coming from the rear.

Been into 4 garages now and nobody knows what the knock is,

Took it to Honda and they stripped the car down which took them full day.
They could not find anything wrong with the car and have no idea as to how to solve the knocking !!

I am stuck with a car with a knocking noise now.
Not a major knocking noise so not too bad but may be an issue when trying to sell the car ?

Peter

Put the passenger seat belt into the clip, I suspect its the buckle clipping the door frame. I have the same noise from time to time, wondered what it could be until I found the culprit.

^^That's a classic advert!

Well it has now been a year and a half and the knocking noise is still there.

I took it to a Honda dealer and they stripped the rear of the car and put it back together.
They could not find anything wrong with it.

They just said it is safe and don't worry about it.
They also mentioned they 'think' it is coming from the drivers side rear floor.

Either way I am stuck with a knocking car that i can not fix

Just out of interest have you looked under the driver seat inside the ventilation duct for the rear seat passengers feet? if you brake hard things can slide forward and end up inside that duct.

The exhaust heat shield that's about in line with the driver seat on my car had worked loose and recently needed to be refined in place. Less of a knock and more of a squeak. But the mechanics would have probably picked this up if this was the culprit.

A couple of thoughts that cross my mind are: I've heard that shock absorbers (not Honda specific) can sometimes develop slight faults that manifest in a knocking, although it doesn't really impact on quality on ride, hence it's hard to pinpoint. But replacing suspension components like that could get costly, so probably isn't work doing on a chance. Also, if a suspension springs isn't completely seated in its rubber boot, it will knock.

Have you ever noticed an change in it, lets say for instance if you've replaced rear pads, does the noise change? Does it get louder or remain the same? Also might be worth taking a look at your rear door hinges, door lock, boot latch, hinges etc.

Old thread but now 2 years and the knocking is still there !!!!
Had many many garages and people look at it and nothing.

Have look at everything that has been suggested but no findings

I now have a clunking coming from the rear brakes.
I am on my second set of callipers and these have done about 20k (discs 16 month old and pads 6 month old)
They also stick on sometimes for a few seconds in a morning after being parked overnight.

Something is telling a 3rd set of callipers may now be required.

Have/do you ever do a running brake test? i.e find a quiet bit of road get up to 30mph then slam the brakes on, this should be done every time you drive the car, helps to bed the brakes in and ***ures you of good operation when they are really required, if the abs does not operate, or the tyres squeal then there is something amiss. Have the "techies" ever done this when checking your car?

The knocking noise on my tourer was coming from the rear near side HID headlight adjuster.
It was really stiff to move when it should move freely.

20230623_184708.jpg