What's new

Knocking noise

riot68

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 type s tourer
Doesn't seem to happen when I go over bigger bumps, just a general knocking when on a little rough road, maybe drop link?...

The back of my car's rattling something rotten. Been told there's play in the roll bar linkages and that my bushing's could also do with replacing. I'm getting it done as soon as January's pay comes through.

:)

The back of my car's rattling something rotten. Been told there's play in the roll bar linkages and that my bushing's could also do with replacing. I'm getting it done as soon as January's pay comes through.

:)

Yep, quite common thay the ARB bushes wear and give a "knocking sound", Could be a DIY if your handy OEM replacements are only £10.

Mines a bit more of a rumble knocking if that makes sense? Don't notice on long drives, it's more pottering around town. So is it more likely to be the ARB bushes than the droplinks? Have changed droplinks on the wifes Primera and do a lot of my own mork on our MR2 so maybe a DIY job for sure, thanks for the help...

If you can manage the MR2 then the accord is easy, still cringe everytime I have to get under mine.

Mine was rear ARB when I had a similar sound, no harm in replacing for a tenner, very easy access too.

If you can manage the MR2 then the accord is easy, still cringe everytime I have to get under mine.

Mine was rear ARB when I had a similar sound, no harm in replacing for a tenner, very easy access too.

Absolutely, it's very easy to do. There's even a DIY for it...

Cool, will check it out, best place to get the bushes, Honda dealer? anywhere easy online? cheers...

Cool, will check it out, best place to get the bushes, Honda dealer? anywhere easy online? cheers...

I got mine from a dealer, for the low cost, there's little to be saved by going online.

If you go here, you'll find the parts

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_block_selection_C30.php?mod_01=533

I got mine from a dealer, for the low cost, there's little to be saved by going online.

If you go here, you'll find the parts

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_block_selection_C30.php?mod_01=533

Oh my, that looks a bit complicated, am going to have a shifty underneath next week, long drive today and didn't really notice. Does anyone have the part number to hand?, cheers again...

Oh my, that looks a bit complicated, am going to have a shifty underneath next week, long drive today and didn't really notice. Does anyone have the part number to hand?, cheers again...

Ah, it's not that bad. It's all the parts for a 2004 Tourer. The part itself is quiet small goto L44

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__2900&block_03=533

Part 6 is it. Honda Part Number is 52315-SED-004

To remove them, you'll need to simply undo bolt number 40 (there's two of them) and remove the holding clip.

The DIY explains it minus the pictures...

Had a look just lying on the drive today and can see where they are, easy access as you said, visually they look ok but think i'll change these first before going the droplink replacement route. Is it a good idea to get the nut's and bolts too? Have sprayed them all with penetrating spray for now anyway. Will let you know I get on, cheers...

Ok, looked at the parts site online and postage is high, eBay, parts costs a bit more. So rang Grantham Honda and same price for parts as online but only charged me £1.60 postage so new bushes on their was and ordered 4 new bolts just in case too. Fingers crossed I can get the old ones undone...

... Fingers crossed I can get the old ones undone...

And this was my worry. I suggest you soak them in some penetrating spray (e.g. PB Blaster or similar) as given the location there's a lot of road junk thrown up there and I managed to snap-one bolt taking it off :angry: If this happens you'll need to snap-off the connection bolt on the top bracket (with force) and then replace this with a nut and bolt.

TBH - I should have just used more penetrating spray - and probably less profanities :ph34r:

Well parts came and have been soaking in fluid for the last couple of days and first side whet perfectly, second side one snapped off, sure it was going well then my wife rang and when I went back under the car it snapped so I'm blaming her! Didn't have a nut to fit the new bolts so tried drilling out and after snapping the drill bits have just taken it round the corner to a garage. Am gutted I didn't get to do the whole job myself. I'm hoping they just charge me a few quid as there's not much left to be done. Anyway will know to give more time next time as need the car in a few hours, cheers...

! Didn't have a nut to fit the new bolts so tried drilling out and after snapping the drill bits have just taken it round the corner to a garage. Am gutted I didn't get to do the whole job myself. I'm hoping they just charge me a few quid as there's not much left to be done. Anyway will know to give more time next time as need the car in a few hours, cheers...

Bummer that it didn't work out for you. For the nut nearest the rear of the car I was able to get a spanner in there and snap the bolt off. No drilling required. But if the more forward nut snapped, I would have been out with the drill too.

Was the passenger side nearer the back, wish I had had a drink and re-read your post. The garage charged me and out at £35 plus VAT £42 as they said they took ages to drill out as my drill bit that snapped was stuck in there! Didn't have a nut that fitted anyway. Had a right go at the garage owner who said sorry and they'd look after me next time, like there will be one! Really ****ed me off, don't go there very often but just round the corner and thought they'd help me out. Still live and learn, had a good check under the car while I was laid on the cold wet drive too haha and the problem seems to be fixed too. thanks again for all the help...

Was the passenger side nearer the back, wish I had had a drink and re-read your post. The garage charged me and out at £35 plus VAT £42 as they said they took ages to drill out as my drill bit that snapped was stuck in there! Didn't have a nut that fitted anyway. Had a right go at the garage owner who said sorry and they'd look after me next time, like there will be one! Really ****ed me off, don't go there very often but just round the corner and thought they'd help me out. Still live and learn, had a good check under the car while I was laid on the cold wet drive too haha and the problem seems to be fixed too. thanks again for all the help...

Great to know the knocking sound was gone. Hopefully you won't have to do it in the near future :)