What's new

Knocking

AndyHK

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord Executive
Hi guys, haven't been login for a long while, how's everybody?
My saloon got the knocking noise from the front suspensions when every time drove on the annoying speed bumps, is that mean the top mounts need to be replaced?

Also, what brand of brake discs and pads you guys would recommend apart of the OEM?

Could be droplinks and antiroll bar bushings, or it could be Lower control arm front bushes.
These are more likely then top bearings.

I've had this for ages, it comes and goes, sometimes it seems from driving around it knocks something back into place and the knocking disappears, i know its bloody annoying but unless your 100% certain what it is, i wouldnt just throw money away at it, let it get worse, i've got use to it and my car is knocking ever so lightly now but was worse before. I reckon its the top mounts though as i've checked & replaced most suspension parts when they've needed replacing.

Another thing is, which i should mention, is when i first had the car and i went over speed bumps you would here this ping kind of sound, which eventually turned into a knock.

Drop links seems to be a common cause of this. I had the knocking, got mine changed and now no noise. If you can grab hold of them and they wobble, they are definitely gone. Mine didn't move but changing them sorted the problem.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Actually, my car just reached 170k miles, and I knew that there are few parts need to be changed; drop links, brake discs and pads, rear bearings. Since I don't drive long mileage daily with this new job, I'm considering to either trade it in for a younger petrol car, or spend on the parts and get it fix.
Apparently it only worth somewhat of £800
What would you guys choose?

It might only fetch £800-1000 if you sold it, but how much would it cost to repair and keep driving and how much would it cost to replace with a newer car that's the same level of luxury and performance? If you can easily afford to upgrade, then do it. But it's probably still good for a time with the right maintenance.

Stevearcade said:
It might only fetch £800-1000 if you sold it, but how much would it cost to repair and keep driving and how much would it cost to replace with a newer car that's the same level of luxury and performance? If you can easily afford to upgrade, then do it. But it's probably still good for a time with the right maintenance.
I just came back from my mechanic friend who checked my car earlier. He said my car needs:
1 front ball joint for the knocking noise
2 rear calipers, they caused the vibration because of the cease
4 brake discs and pads

On the other side, the car I want to change is a 2010 Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8 with 70k miles on the clock for around £4500

I like the tourer very much, but the accord has no other major problem at the moment. That puts me into this dilemma

I feel you man. I'm in a similar position. Car's old but aside from manageable faults it keeps soldiering on.

Avensis is nothing like the same class as the Accord, very lightweight and tinny feeling. have a look and see for yourself.
I'd buy good quality parts, they won't be much I got a set of TRW front discs and pads for 99 euro.
Ball joint is 40 euro and calipers are either rebuild or buy for 77stg ea
Cheap fixes.
BTW get the balljoint done immediately, they can fail dangerously.

Bounder said:
Avensis is nothing like the same class as the Accord, very lightweight and tinny feeling. have a look and see for yourself.
I'd buy good quality parts, they won't be much I got a set of TRW front discs and pads for 99 euro.
Ball joint is 40 euro and calipers are either rebuild or buy for 77stg ea
Cheap fixes.
BTW get the balljoint done immediately, they can fail dangerously.
Found a 09 2.0 ES GT Accord for £5200, I'm thinking to go for it instead of the Toyota.

And, just got a quote by babasellmycar.co.uk, the market value of my car is between £440 - £870 depends on the condition. They even come and collect it.

Sell it or keep it dilemma

Stevearcade said:
I feel you man. I'm in a similar position. Car's old but aside from manageable faults it keeps soldiering on.
The only concern to me or us is, we don't know which part will go wrong next.
And my car is still equipping with the original clutch, that's Japanese quality