What's new

Leaking Exhaust Manifold - What are the Options? (2.2cdti)

bumbim

Reaction score
Car
jazz
Got an 2006 accord with 165k miles, which have the dreaded exhaust manifold leak & Smells bad.

As I understand it's quite expensive to replace it due to the work that is required to swap it/get to it.
Anyone have done this and know the approx costs to get it done? The part itself doesn't seem expensive at around £100 from ebay. Perhaps anyone knows a place in NorthEast of UK that have done this?

btw Since I saw that some have got theirs welded, was wondering if they can be ''fixed'' yourself somehow by smearing/sealing the cracked stuff with the exhaust repair pastes /or using the liquid metal epoxy pastes such as jbweld/quick steel? That is if you can get access to smear it in easily? Btw How easy it is to access the exhaust manifold so you could possibly do that? I have patched up exhausts on 2 cars before with that repair paste so just wondering If this could be done here as well as a cheap and fast fix that could work for some time?

The car otherwise is a great car, only I'm kinda reluctant to spend the same $ to repair such thing as the car is worth itself.

I have seen some have got theirs done by honda for free/only labor due to the widespread problem, however, there's probably no way they would do it on such an old car.

We used to offer a repair service but it’s not worth it anymore. With aftermarket manifolds now available, that’s your best option.

Since I saw that some have got theirs welded, was wondering if they can be ''fixed'' yourself somehow by smearing/sealing the cracked stuff with the exhaust repair pastes /or using the liquid metal epoxy pastes such as jbweld/quick steel? That is if you can get access to smear it in easily? Btw How easy it is to access the exhaust manifold so you could possibly do that? I have patched up exhausts on 2 cars before with that repair paste so just wondering If this could be done here as well as a cheap and fast fix that could work for some time?

JB Weld wouldn't tolerate the temperature, it would have to be an exhaust paste. I would try it but as you say access you need access and I don't know where they usually fail.

These pastes are used between joints. I have tried it on a crack on the manifold just out of curiosity, but the material does not tolerate the expansion of the metal and the crack will form again even on the smeared layer. An aftermarket manifold is probably the best option.

These pastes are used between joints. I have tried it on a crack on the manifold just out of curiosity, but the material does not tolerate the expansion of the metal and the crack will form again even on the smeared layer. An aftermarket manifold is probably the best option.
How easy it is to access it just for the purpose of smearing the crack & Where do they usually crack?
I know there are A LOT of different pastes,some specially designed for extremely high temperatures that would be suitable for this.

Did you reinforced it with a fiberglass or metal mesh inbetween the layers when smearing/caking it to avoid cracking?

btw there's no doubt that aftermarket manifold is the best option and it's not even that expensive, swapping it however is the most expensive/difficult task ;)

How easy it is to access it just for the purpose of smearing the crack & Where do they usually crack?
I know there are A LOT of different pastes,some specially designed for extremely high temperatures that would be suitable for this.

Did you reinforced it with a fiberglass or metal mesh inbetween the layers when smearing/caking it to avoid cracking?

btw there's no doubt that aftermarket manifold is the best option and it's not even that expensive, swapping it however is the most expensive/difficult task ;)
There are many different types of pastes on the market for high temperature application. Mine was some sort of paste for exhaust parts, wood stoves etc... Mine was cracked on the upper side on the right edge. You have to examine it carefully cause the crack is thin and has some slight blackening. I did not use any fiberglass, but I doubt you could do any decent job with the manifold in place (not enough space to move). I have taken the turbo out several times without car lift and it is really a pain job but not impossible. The problem are the manifold bolts. I have never attempted to undo these. Mine manifold was already welded by the previous owner and has cracked on a different location. Considering this welding is not an option...

Any recommendations on aftermarket manifolds? Don't think it's leaking but fear it's inevitable.