What's new

Leather seat Refurb

TIPEX9

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
vtec-s
Hey people just a quick thread, not really a how to but just showing you what I did today and how easy it was. My 6th gen has a beige / cream leather interior and the drivers seat was very tired and worn and letting the look of the car down. Anyway I bought myself a small tube of leather paint off ebay, chopped a sponge and here we have it.

Seat as it was:

Cheap leather paint:

Sponge cut to a managable size:

Right, to start with this type of paint can be diluted with water to suit and is available in so many colours. Basically dap a bit on a sponge and use on a small area just to check consistency and shade and how it applies to the surface. Mine dried slightly lighter but worked really well.

Once you are happy to start apply a small quantity to the sponge and start smoothing it into the leather use light strokes too start on one panel. If you are not getting the coverage you need just leave it dry and do another coating. Use a dabbing motion in places that need it but lightly as dabbing hard will empty the sponge on to the seat. :(

This really is quite an easy process and even easier if your leather is black/dark as its easier to match the colour shade.

Anyway here's the seat now and it literally took me 45 minutes to get it like this. When I have time I will get it looking better.

So much cheaper than new leather I urge everyone that's thought about it to try it. It cost me £5.00 !!!!!! Lol

thats a nice job and result. Where did you get the pen from?

Thanks, from ebay. Will post a link to the item from my work pc tomorrow for you :)

I've found the listing on Ebay, I've got a 6th gen Type V, would the interior be called beige? I notice they list "Honda Ivory" as well. Here is the link for the 50ml pots (I think I'll probably need more than a pen to do mine) but the Ebay shop also does the pens.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221085115692?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Thanks for the poitive comments guys, This is the stuff i bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320847260978#ht_1894wt_958

I knew that Ivory was going to be to light for me as i used that colour on some furniture a while back, so opted for Beige and it was spot on for my needs. It says its a pen but really its a little tube with a brush attached to the lid (which i didnt use). Even though the tube is small it goes a long way as you will be sponging it on plus if you water it down a touch it goes further. Simples. :)

Hope this little thread has helped some of you guys on here as sometimes i dont feel like i give enough back to the forum as i'm no mechanic but stuff like this i'm ok with (sometimes) :lol:

I've found the listing on Ebay, I've got a 6th gen Type V, would the interior be called beige? I notice they list "Honda Ivory" as well. Here is the link for the 50ml pots (I think I'll probably need more than a pen to do mine) but the Ebay shop also does the pens.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221085115692?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Dont know if this helps Mike but my interior is out of a Type V also.

That looks 100% better Dale, good job and a great find as I need to do my driver's seat and is fortunately black so should match OK :) .

Won't be permanent, the leather will wear over time. From my own quick research in the past it is best to do a more thorough job to get tired looking leather back, such as opening the pores up properly and then doing all the cleaning, dying, oiling, lacquering etc. That way it will keep the leather in good condition, but it will be a PITA to do, this is a nice quick job that I personally think is better suited to doing on seats that have one or two scuff marks rather then the whole seat. Might give mine ago, thanks for posting this up.

I'll be trying that in my dad's Jag. Previous owner must have barely cleaned it before he traded it in.