What's new

LED front side lights

james2512

Members
Reaction score
Car
C220 AMG Sport Plus
Happy New Year all!

I thought the car deserved another little new year treat so I have just fitted led front side light bulbs to it! In fairness I personnally think they look better than the old yellow/orange sidelight bulb. I've put some pictures on below and will try to get some pics when it gets darker.

Drivers side very easy to fit but the passenger side you need hands like my 4yr old to get in there. You could take the battery off, but I found that removing the main beam bulb gave me just enough room to get the side light out. Once you have put the new led bulb in the connection holder ensure to test them as you may have to turn the bulb round as less only work one way!!

No flickering or warnings on the car from these, I did get can bus error free bulbs although not applicable to this car just wanted to ensure a good bulb. Cost £7.99 from eBay with free post and took 2 days to arrive, not bad!

IMG01170-20111231-1126.jpg

IMG01174-20111231-1127.jpg

IMG01173-20111231-1126.jpg

IMG01171-20111231-1126.jpg

Lovely!

I'll have to take pix of the ones I have in a bit and show you those! :D

At night they make my Xenons look yellow!! LOL

Nice one I have these fitted to lol

Just looking at the rear lights now....... any suggestions?

Just looking at the rear lights now....... any suggestions?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-7443-7440-T20-18-SMD-LED-RED-TAIL-BRAKE-LIGHT-BULB-K-/180528587314?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0857a232

I have these - no issues at all. They did come up with an error message first and the yellow warning indication stayed on, but after I switched the car off and restarted, it was fine. (No pics as didnt see your post till now!)

Here are my LED sidelights and yes they are that bright! Apologies for the dirt on the car - not been cleaned in a while and pics are just from my phone which isnt the best in the world at a poxy 5MP :lol:

First pic below is with the lights OFF. Just reflection of the daylight in this.

XZ1.jpg

Second pic shows just the LED sidelight switched on. A nice brilliant rich white colouring.

XZ2.jpg

Final pic shows xenon/HID (OEM) headlight and sidelight on.

XZ3.jpg

Will get some better images when I have cleaned the car. B)

Nice one matey.

Just found some UK ones on eBay so I've ordered tail/brake and amber turn lights.

I have took a night shot of my lights and see what you mean, the sidelight is much whiter than the xenon bulb even after I replaced them with 130% super lights!

IMG01179-20111231-1626.jpg

I've yet to get the amber/signal LED lights. Just got lazy over the summer.

Meant to ask as I cant see on your car images, do you also have the OEM xenon's?

I've yet to get the amber/signal LED lights. Just got lazy over the summer.

Meant to ask as I cant see on your car images, do you also have the OEM xenon's?

Just the standard projectors with the halogen bulb in the bin and fitted with xenon bulbs........ makes so much difference plus gives the top edge of light a blueish line.

James mate can you put up the info on those bulbs as I was thinking of going down the hid road.
But with the new rules for Mot these are a better option lol

Just the standard projectors with the halogen bulb in the bin and fitted with xenon bulbs........ makes so much difference plus gives the top edge of light a blueish line.

Ah right gotcha!

Gonna say because since I have joined this forum, I think there's very few 8th Gen Accords (non Type-S) that have OEM Xenons in. But as Brett says with these new MOT rules due in, we may not see any kits being installed due to risk of MOT failure.

Look forward to seeing your rear bulbs too James :)

James mate can you put up the info on those bulbs as I was thinking of going down the hid road.
But with the new rules for Mot these are a better option lol

Brett, not too sure on the law behind hid upgrades, I thought mot test on lights is to check function and correct level/angle etc.... anyway the bulbs I used are on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RING-H1-XENON-ULTIMA-120-BRIGHTER-HEADLIGHTS-BULBS-RW1248-/140667402284?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c06e382c

Really good bulbs, not easy to fit on these accords though! Some serious skinny hands and alot of patients!

I'm not sure if a hid upgrade kit would even fit on this car as there is no room behind the headlamp.....

Thanks James for the link mate lol.when we get some better weather I will look at doing this.but I will look at doing hids 1st if it can be done

I'm not sure if a hid upgrade kit would even fit on this car as there is no room behind the headlamp.....

HIDS aside, there is literally no room to get to the sidelights to change those!

Though I can do it now with the 3 fingers I have left on each hand! :lol:

Ref: HIDs in the MOT:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
Important points highlighted. To me this means if they're not fitted (from standard) then it can't fail for them not working, so retrofit HIDs are still legal and fine. I think the change is that washers and levellers used to be just notice items rather than failure items.

And I thought the 7th was bad lol

To me this means if they're not fitted (from standard) then it can't fail for them not working, so retrofit HIDs are still legal and fine. I think the change is that washers and levellers used to be just notice items rather than failure items.

Off topic as is being discussed in another thread - but thats not correct. See posts 10 and post 13 in this thread.

People are overlooking the fact that there is not just an inspection regime, but also a directive that needs to be observed as part of the new MOT regulations which clearly state:

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems.

That said, we all have to wait and see which MOT testers adhere to these rules etc so no real point debating until it happens.