What's new

Light bulbs blowing constantly

gul55

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 ictdi
My drivers side headlamp keeps blowing, and i'm sick of changing it every few weeks. Has anyone experienced this problem? What do you suggest? I dont want to go buy a HID kit as they are not legal and my car is a Taxi and it will fail its MOT every 6 months. First starter motor, then exhaust manifold, and constantly light bulbs! This car is very annoying.

What bulbs are you replacing with? cheap, or pikey?

As the guys said or upgrade to HIDS ;)

I want to know what is causing the problem, like I said, I dont want to ignore the problem and go and buy a HID kit. I'm guessing this is another factory fault like the compulsory manifold cracking. It's so frustrating that these problems on occur newish cars like these! P.S the HID kit will more than likely fail MOT every 6 months as my car is a Taxi and the testing is more stringent. Let me know guys, thanks.

Have a look in the faults section hear is a link to one thread.I would say you have a bad earth fault somewhere.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4149-blown-headlight-bulbs-7th-gen-22-ex/

You could also try answering my question. :rolleyes:

I want to know what is causing the problem, like I said, I dont want to ignore the problem and go and buy a HID kit. I'm guessing this is another factory fault like the compulsory manifold cracking. It's so frustrating that these problems on occur newish cars like these! P.S the HID kit will more than likely fail MOT every 6 months as my car is a Taxi and the testing is more stringent. Let me know guys, thanks.

Me and Dan have both answered your question. Accords do not like cheap bulbs.

If it was surging power it would blow your fuse (10amp 1 for each side). The Manifold cracking is covered under the extended warranty so will not cost you anything to fix anyway.

Just about every other Taxi down my way has a HID kit installed and they don't seem to have issue's with MOT's.??

As a quick fix i would just buy genuine Honda bulbs, They may cost a bit more but will probably solve your problem.

As for HID's

Your car as standard is nearly set up for xenon's anyway. You have the all important projector lenses so you don't blind oncoming traffic and if you have an EX you will have headlight washers so all you would need is self adjusting lights and even VOSA would struggle to find out if you didn't.

Your MOT is not a lot more stringent than an ordinary MOT you just have to do it more often and it involves interior and bodywork checks. I would be very surprised if a well fitted HID kit was picked up as it would look no different than standard. Obviously if you have cables everywhere you are asking for trouble.

Agree Neil However HUK stuffed the OP over his manifold... unless they changed their minds since his last post on the subject.

i still find that shocking.

Agree Neil However HUK stuffed the OP over his manifold... unless they changed their minds since his last post on the subject.

i still find that shocking.
I had to pay £225 for a new manifold off ebay, its also gonna cost £80 to fit

Fault finding blowing bulbs can be hard. As it's only the drivers side though which is blowing you could try swapping the bulb from the passenger side and see if it lasts, and see if the the brand you buy fails early on the passenger side? Also, thoroughly check the connections to the drivers side bulb, making sure they are firm and feel properly connected, if it is a poor connection causing the voltage to fluctuate to that bulb it could be anywhere back to the fuse.

I agree with you, why should you have to fit a HID kit if you don't want one, (for whatever reasons). I'm also unsure why any car should be prone to bulb failure, its an electrical circuit. I don't think Honda make bulbs, they probably buy a in good make and put their name on them, so worth buying one to at least eliminate that. If you still find it blows then look for other reasons

One other possibility would be if the bulb or housing was loose and vibrating the filament more than normal.

£80 to fit a manifold?..........its gonna be done propperly then?, very cheep that!...make sure all the washers and gaskets are replaced for the turbo oil return pipework and oil return, water supply banjo bolts. not to menchon a new exhaust manifold gasket. i presume the manifold is oem spec? you will loose most of your coolant allso on removin the turbo. have you costed new coolant or you re-using the old?.........back to the bulbs. you need to check your alternator output with as many loads on as possible, inc high beams and blowers on full etc. check the current flowing to the the bulb that is blowing and compare it to the otherside. there are many things to check buddy but you will be better off with a more high quality bulb and the correct type. very easy to buy the wrong rated bulb, you caunt go wrong buying from honda though and ime sure they aint any more expensive then a good quality one from halfolds.

£80 to fit a manifold?..........its gonna be done propperly then?, very cheep that!...make sure all the washers and gaskets are replaced for the turbo oil return pipework and oil return, water supply banjo bolts. not to menchon a new exhaust manifold gasket. i presume the manifold is oem spec? you will loose most of your coolant allso on removin the turbo. have you costed new coolant or you re-using the old?.........back to the bulbs. you need to check your alternator output with as many loads on as possible, inc high beams and blowers on full etc. check the current flowing to the the bulb that is blowing and compare it to the otherside. there are many things to check buddy but you will be better off with a more high quality bulb and the correct type. very easy to buy the wrong rated bulb, you caunt go wrong buying from honda though and ime sure they aint any more expensive then a good quality one from halfolds.
My mates gonna do it, thats why its a bit cheap. I managed to get hold of an original Honda Manifold with all the gaskets (newer cast type) brand new at a decent price. I'm gonna be getting the coolant changed also at the same time.

get new gaskets for the turbo oil and coolant feeds buddy. there not too expensive form honda and will save a lot of trouble as you dont want oil or coolant leaks compromising the turbo.

get new gaskets for the turbo oil and coolant feeds buddy. there not too expensive form honda and will save a lot of trouble as you dont want oil or coolant leaks compromising the turbo.
I think all of it comes as part of the kit as there are quite a few gaskets in a sealed bag together with nuts, washers etc.

As A TAXI do you sit outside addresses with the headlights on and the engine stopped? then as the fare approaches start up, it could be a surge blowing the lamps as the starter motor engages. Just THOUGHT please do not jump down my throat.

That's a fair point John - as this vehicle is a workhorse, it could be something in the owners driving pattern that is causing this as I don't think the issue as widespread as we think (unless people are using cheap bulbs). As for the manifold, I would listen to Adam's advice - he fits these day in day out at our affiliated Honda dealership.

Regarding the bulb failure, it's only one side that keep blowing. There should be a clue there.