What's new

Light Scratches

neilrosser

Members
Reaction score
Car
CL9 2.4 i-VTEC Exec
Ok guys, I've got light scratches around the door handles, nothing too deep, but they're really annoying. What do you guys recommend?
BTW the cars Indigo Blue.

Cheers
Neil

nothing a good compound won't sort out. G3 is good in the right hands but can be to abrasive if you don't know what your doing with it. if they are really light a scratch remover from the likes of Halfords will do the trick and will be about 8 quid.

G3 might be a bit to abrasive round your handles and hard to apply in the confined space with out making it worse. You could try using G6 or G10 instead, they are less abrasive.

On mine the scratches round the handles were caused by finger nails so the majority were scuffs and light scratches. A bottle of T-cut easily fetched them out.

Matt

What about Maguire's Scratch X?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meguiars-Scratch-X-2-0-Scratch-Remover-207ml-/370482073858?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564273d102#ht_2695wt_905

Works for me

Steve

My friend has a dark blue accord and compund left some swirl marks, he tried autoglym resin and that worked a charm, down side have to reapply ever so often after washes. I have tried megulairs x scratch and for very fine marks it does the job.

Think I'm going to try the old trusted T-Cut first, I've been told you can get it in blue aswell.

yeah you can use t-cut first and take it from there, i know the particles in the t-cut are much finer than megulairs so you really need to work it in. lots of pressure and rotation will get quicker results as ive experienced. sometimes if you know people who have these products try a bit of theirs first as you could end up buying items which might not make the difference you seek.

IMHO I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM T-CUT AND THATS FROM EXPERINCE AND ADVICE.....

the scratches near your door handles are indeed nail,rings,etc marks so actually should be quite light. the right product to use would be meguiars scratch X, this does the job well especially if applied using a polisher(D.A. etc) if you start to see swirl marks use swirlx by meguairs. this will get rid of swirls TRUST ME. But use carefully as this is a LIGHT COMPOUND, and honda paint is very fragile while the german cars(audi's VW's etc)are on the opposite end of the spectrum and have much more thicker paint. if then wanted for further protection you can use auto glym super resin polish and a layer of gloss protection this should last quite a few washes, but remember you will never recieve 100% correction adn it take alot of hard work to do so.

I've gone with the Scratch X 2.0. Will get some before & after pics over the weekend.

Neil

well done neil and please do post pics....thanks carl for the link buddy i was looking for that link(magic...as if you read my mind bud) ;)

well done neil and please do post pics....thanks carl for the link buddy i was looking for that link(magic...as if you read my mind bud) ;)

No probs Sufian

that links a good example on what scratch X can do isn't it, especially without using a machine.

I've only used T-cut before so can't speak for the scratch X. But I've managed to achieve the same result using T-cut on a black car as that shown in the scratch X link.

There is a technique to using T-cut. Some people think that if they just rub it over a big area once or twice like if they were applying polish it will miraculously take all the scratches out. And then they're disappointed when it doesn't work. The trick is do small areas, use a clean cloth, and have patience.

But everyone will have their own preferences and experiences with different products so it's really whatever works best for you.

Matt

its not only about the same results, but also how the product effects the paintwork... t-cut has know to make paint work duller of continous use, Auto glym, meg's, poorboys to name the few may produce the same results as t-cus(or vise versa)but will not make your paint work duller over continus use. remeber our paint is fine and fragile as it is removing layer of protection(as t-cut is a abrasive) and continously using the stuff will dull your paintwork, its not used by many deatilers or experianced auto bodyshops, and thats for a reason, but each to their own.megs poorboys and ag only things touching my paint(apart from the odd bird dodo lol)but thats it. That is a good link carl, im using the Dual action machine polisher from megs(ga220) great results from that magic bit of kit carl,makes very light work of polisha and detailing cars..lol(otherwise would of had arms like popeyes....lol) :lol:

Heres the result of just 15mins work using ScratchX 2.0. Theres still a few tiny scratches that the camera hasn't picked up in the after pic that I will work on. I'm astonished with the result so far, and really pleased I went with the ScratchX 2.0

Before

P1010734-1.jpg

After

P1010738-1-1.jpg

Thing is, now you have to do the whole car :lol:

remeber our paint is fine and fragile as it is removing layer of protection(as t-cut is a abrasive) and continously using the stuff will dull your paintwork, its not used by many deatilers or experianced auto bodyshops,

Yes T-cut is an abrasive. But aren't they all? They all remove scratches by removing a thin layer of paint to level it out. I'm guessing all the other products you mention have a polishing compound included in them to restore the paintwork at the same time, where as T-cut doesn't so it leaves it slightly duller.

I doubt many, if any, of the detailers and body shops would use any of the products we buy off the shelves as they are too expensive for their profit margins. The majority use a no name product that they bulk buy and can apply quickly and get a half decent result with. Most customers are usually impressed by the shine because, well lets face it, most people don't even polish their cars so they haven't seen them look that good since they bought it. :rolleyes:

Matt

thats some good results buddy, now the whole car lol ;) , lol, and the answere to your question dan is a whole day and a bit at a time(and keep a airgun near by for the birds..lol)matt mate you are right,they are all abrasives... but again its the quality of the product and not what the product does as an example...2(exactly same looking) body kits can make the same car look good, but one will be better made and last longer than the other,its similar to these cleaning products. how long does it last? level of protection(opinions can differ)

Great result Neil,

I bet you were surprised with how easy it was to do.

@ Matt (Doc)

I think some of the differences between T Cut and the likes of megs scratch X and also G Techniq P1 nano polish is the grade of the abrasion. I've used various in my time, I've used mer scratch remover which is very course and then megs scratch X has corrected the damage and is relatively easy to use. I gave up on T- Cut quite some time ago, perhaps they have a revised product since.

Neil mate that is great work well done i may get some myself :)

brett mate, the stuff is great, really does work bud, i remeber getting some from halford along with megs tech wax and megs gold car wash when they had the three for two offers...

Heres the result of just 15mins work using ScratchX 2.0. Theres still a few tiny scratches that the camera hasn't picked up in the after pic that I will work on. I'm astonished with the result so far, and really pleased I went with the ScratchX 2.0

Before

P1010734-1.jpg

After

P1010738-1-1.jpg

Very impressed mate. Looks awesome!

That looks great.

for light scratches use Maguires Swirl X for best results clean and polish the area 1st then swirl x it polish it then swirl x it then polish and wax it shud look brand new and smooth as anything bud i had the same problem

I used my Meguiars Scratch X (the original version before x2.0 came out) yesterday on the car as there are a few scratches here and there. I did also buy the scratch x2.0 yesterday as there have been very good reviews on it, HOWEVER scratch x has removed i would say about 70-80% of the swirls and scratches so my question is, is scratch x2.0 really worth it?!

I've since returned the x2.0.

faz bro i also used the swirl x from megs when i first got the car(you could tell it had been washed anyhow :( ) and that done wonders,i had to be carefull with it as it is an abbrasive,also couldnot go too mad with da polisher,but your right scratch X(original/ver2) should really get rid of swirls etc,but as long as car has been looked after well(which im sure yours has)thats why the megs scratch X is good enogh, but alot of peeps dont really detail well hence the need for sronger abbrasives..so ryan is correct in the method and is right it will leave it mirror shiney and sooooooo smoooth lol.

Scratch X v.2 is very good and more workable over the whole car, it works particularly well with a rotary or DA machine, it does come in particularly useful if your car has had years of poor cleaning and poilishing . If you have light swirls, spider-webs, holographs etc I'd go with Megs swirlx or Dodo Juice Lime Prime. Either should get good results, I'd personally go over with something like Meg's Show Glaze No.7 topped off with a decent wax.

Is this the stuff? Not sure if it V2 or not:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_203401_langId_-1_categoryId_165527#dtab

Is this the stuff? Not sure if it V2 or not:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_203401_langId_-1_categoryId_165527#dtab

That's the stuff Dan

***ume V2 as it says new and improved