What's new

Limp home - P1065 = Fuel Filter?

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Sudden loss of power at 3,000 rpm and then flashing glow plug light and limp home mode. Just put code reader on which says P1065 which the internet says is low fuel pressure.

To me this points first to the fuel filter which I have not yet changed on this car.

Anybody agree with my diagnosis and if so anybody recommend the best guide to changing it?

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/?gclid=CNmxtbu4srsCFdLItAodcQUAbA

they are the cheapest make sure you get the bosch filter though, the actual job is not too difficult, the sticky bit is the 10mm set screw at the back of the holder, I threw it away on the refit, that filter will be going nowhere when put back in the holder. just squeeze the bulb until it's hard and bobs your uncle.

Need the car for the weekend so going to have to take the day off on Wednesday to replace. Will just go down to the local Honda dealer and pick one up as I haven't got time to wait for an online order!

Looked through the guide and looks okay.

Fingers crossed !

Almost always the fuel filter mate. Use a genuine one please

Well that was a lot easier than expected. 10 mins to remove air box, throttle and pump bracket, socket straight onto pinch bolt, pipes off and out!

Same to re-fit and done! :)

MAHLE one fitted and now replaced with genuine Bosch so hopefully sorted.

Well I spoke too soon!!

Took it for a drive, gave it a boot full and limp home mode again with same P1065 fault! :(

Is it likely to be some air in the system and will sort itself out or have I got bigger problems?

Anybody knnow if the that fault is rail pressure? Can read rail pressure via OBD so any data on what it should be?

Has it been bled of air? There's a 10mm bolt on the top of the filter. Loosen that and squeeze the bulb until fuel comes out. Tighten bolt up and start car

Yes pumped it till fuel from outlet pipe then fitted pipe, undid the 10mm bolt and pumped again till just fuel came out.

Bleed it a couple more times for good measure. Should be fine

Tonights plan.

Ran the OBD scanner on the way to work and saw a maximum of 150,000kPa which works out to 1500 bar so that's not right!!!

Think it's more the cheap OBD app rather that the car!

So bled the filter twice more and still limp home mode when pushing hard!

Also getting a misfire on steady light part throttle.

Seem to remember it doing this once before I changed the filter as well as the low fuel pressure code so could say the change has not improved anything.

Any other ideas on what I can check??

Sounds like a bad injector mate..

Actually thinking about it I can see how a bad injector would give uneven running but I cannot see how it would cause low fuel pressure.

The rail pressure is surely governed by the pump and the regulator and it doesn't care what the injectors are doing??

Excessive leakback will cause low fuel pressure, but it normally comes with P0087. Could also be a stuck fuel pressure relief valve on the side of the rail.

And yes they are coded but just ensure you fit the same injector back into the original port. Otherwise you’ll need access to a HDS or diagnostic tool that can code them.

Was going to ask if anybody has any experience of the pressure regulator and do they fail?

Monitored the pressure again today using another OBD reader and that was showing close to 1500 bar as well so looks like the figures are right? Anybody know what the pressures should be?

F6HAD said:
You need to log it against target and check for deviation. Yes it’s quite common for the fuel pressure relief valve to fail on these. You can get them new from eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264194643420

Says doesn't fit my 2004 but found this which it says it does fit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-Honda-Accord-CRV-2-2-Ctdi-N22A-04-On-Bosch-928400687-/292421052683

Does the engine have a fuel pressure relief valve AND regulator or just one of?

I’ve just tuned a 2005 Accord tonight with exactly the same issue. On his car it was a leaking injector which he was able to nip up, but it was bad enough to actually hear and see before he did it. Are you sure there are no injector issues on your car?

F6HAD said:
I’ve just tuned a 2005 Accord tonight with exactly the same issue. On his car it was a leaking injector which he was able to nip up, but it was bad enough to actually hear and see before he did it. Are you sure there are no injector issues on your car?
Not sure but can check. Don't remember seeing any issues when I did the filter change.

Leaking fuel from rail to injector pipe or leaking gas past the injector washer?

Leaking past the injector washer..

On this car it was literallly chuffing smoke out, it will cause a drop in fuel pressure as it’s not going back into the fuel return..

Have you made any progress with yours?

No. Still not sure whether it's got a pressure relief valve or a regulator or both?

Will check the injectors tonight but pretty sure they are okay.

The regulator is part of the pump on this engine as far as I’m aware. If not the fuel filter or the injectors then most likely it’s the pressure relief valve stuck slightly open

F6HAD said:
The regulator is part of the pump on this engine as far as I’m aware. If not the fuel filter or the injectors then most likely it’s the pressure relief valve stuck slightly open
Good because thats the cheaper part ! :p