What's new

Looking for an Accord Tourer but can't decide which!

gazzarose

Members
Reaction score
Car
Gen8 Accord Tourer
Hi guys,

My first post on the main forum after saying hello in the newbie bit last week.

I'm looking for an Accord Tourer but can't decide on spec. When I started looking I decided on EX, but after doing more looking and research, I think I wan't an EX GT. I like the looks, prefer half leather and want Xenons. I'm looking for a car to replace my IS200 which I've had for nearly 8 years, and want a car I'm going to enjoy going out to in the mornings for another 7 or 8 years so I want to get the right one. The problem is I'm not exactly tripping over EX GTs on every forecourt. My local Honda dealer hasn't even seen an Accord for months. I narrowly missed out on one in Holdcroft on the weekend, I was a bit slow as I had to sort a loan out, but now I've got the money in the bank I just need to find a car.

I've been looking predominantly for manual EX GTs, but I have noticed there are a few Autos about. What are they like mpg wise compared to the manuals. My commute is 25miles each way mostly on motorway so It's not going to save me much gear changing, but the 8 yr old in me likes the idea of flappy paddles. I understand its not a sportscar tho, and my wife has got an MX5 so I don't want or need it to be. I just don't want to think in a few months time I should have got a manual and gained the extra mpgs, and I do prefer driving a manual, but I've only got limited experience of driving autos, and that's been in my boss's Discovery which suits an auto.

The other option I was looking at was a Type S, but they're even more rare! All the EX GT bits, but with more power! And I'm sure I could put up with the full leather in exchange for full leather. How do they compare the the normal diesels mpg on the motorway. Obviously if you use all the extra power out of every roundabout mpg is going to suffer, but my Lexus is only averaging 28mpg so theres a fair scope for improvement, but over 7 or years years it can all add up.

Last question (for now,lol). I'd prefer to buy from a Honda dealer, even if it does cost a bit more, it just feels a bit safer especially with an extended warranty its a fair bit of peace of mind, and its more likely to have a Honda service history. Do you think its worth it or shouldn't beggars be choosers. I'm pretty open about where in the country I have to travel to buy a car, and I just feel a bit more comfortable travelling to a distant land to a Honda dealer than a small garage.

Sorry for rambling

Gareth

I've only seen what I've found on here. That's another reason I was leaning towards a EX GT to avoid it. I like the sunroof on my Lexus, but with the mrs having a MX5 that has the sunroof thing quite well covered, so havn't got a hankering for one in the Accord.

Hi and welcome Gareth.

Doing 50 miles a day, I guess you are on the edge of diesel being best. The diesels are generally ok as long as they are properly serviced, but they can have problems with the DPFs getting blocked, if the wrong grade oil is used, or if someone does loads of urban driving meaning the DPF doesnt get chance to regenerate.

If I were buying a diesel Accord, I would want a fairly low mileage one with full honda service history and a Honda warranty for 12 months. In my opinion we seem to hear of quite a few used diesels that have been abused and badly serviced and then have lots of DPF trouble, which either means replacement at circa £1000 or removal and remap which I beleive is half that price.

In contrast the petrols are fairly bombproof, again as long as they are serviced.

Things to look for: check the windscreen side trim recall has been done, they can work lose. Check for uneven tyre wear, sign of suspension problems. Driveshafts can get bent after heavy kerbing causing vibrations. Sunroof rust. Paintwork seems to be very prone to chipping on the front.

Remember also you can add the GT bodykit (sideskirts and front spoiler) for around £1000 from our sponsor Holdcroft Honda.

Depending on your budget, you might find buying a petrol is cheaper as you wont have any big repair costs.

Good luck with the search.

Bit of an update. I put a deposit on a car yesterday, but don't pick it up until next weekend mainly because the cars in Cambridge, but I'm in South Wales. The car in question is a '10 Plate Type S Tourer in White! I can't imagine I'm going to pull up to next to many at the traffic lights! Can't wait! I'll put some photos on when I get it.

Congrats

Very nice car

That'll be the one I spotted in the skoda garage the other week

I signed for mine then a white one turned up the next day :-( I was gutted

Yeah thats the one. Going to go and collect it next Saturday. Its got 55k on it with full Honda service history, and it was due a service and had one service left on its service plan so the dealer is taking it to a Honda dealer to get serviced. I'm getting excited now, even the wifes excited. Now I've just got to come to the realities of owning a white car. At least I've got £50 of Halfords vouchers from my birthday, so I think it'll be a trip to Halfords after I pick the car up.

They do look the business

I wanted one but they're so rare I took the only one near me as fed up of searching on and off for two years

Get pics up asap:)

That trix stuff looks good. I'll have to try and sort out a hose pipe in the garage again. Coming from a silver car I've been a bit spoilt, I could not clean it for more than a month and other than the wheels it still looked pretty good. Having bought a white car, I'm now noticing other white cars alot, and they seem to be either squeaky clean or completely hanging. I even saw an Accord Type S saloon in white and it was filthy.

I tell you what tho, its not easy to get from South Wales to Cambridge. Trains all go via London with a few changes, and the 5.30 train from my local station is £70 for 2 of us, but the 7am train is more like £90 and It'd take 5 hours to get to Cambridge. I looked at hiring a car, and including a drop off fee of £30odd it was £61 to have a little Chevy Spark, so even with petrol its pretty similar to the price of a train, and It'll be 4 hours and I can leave when I want to thats what I'm going to do. 4 hours in a little shopping car will make the Accord feel all the more special.

Well I've got it! Picked it up yesterday. It was a long day tho!

Went to pick the hire car up on Friday evening, and had a free upgrade from a 1.0 Chevy Spark to a 1.4 auto Corsa, that turned out to have heated seats and steering wheel and even cruise control! So we left our house at 5.50am in our little beastie.

1656266_10152816295249477_181904132771095925_n.jpg

Took us just under 4 hours, definitely made easier by the cruise control in the Corsa, but we got there to pick up our Type S

1958019_10152816295434477_5002650985137378103_n.jpg

Alot nicer driving the Accord home than driving the Corsa up! But it got filthy on the 230 mile trip back.

I must say i'm really enjoying the car, Loving all the little toys. Very entertaining trying to get the voice control woman to under stand my welsh valley accent tho, but I think shes learning!

Gave it a quick clean today ready for its first day going to work, might have to wait to do a proper clean with clays and stuff but at least all yesterdays road dirt is off.

10644840_10152816295329477_4206976475135715121_n.jpg

Had a good up close look at everything, and its pretty good. A few chips here and there, and a couple of touched in scratches that I'll try and get sorted after Christmas when I sell my old car, falling for the Type S pretty much cleaned me out. It came up just as I'd bought a new bathroom suite, so the timing could have been better.

And I gave my old car a quick clean, just need someone to buy it now! Anyone fancy it?

1975116_10152816295189477_9110679499149648790_n.jpg

So there it is. Starting to get used to it now, theres a few more buttons in this than in my 11yr old Lexi.

Looks lovely mate!

Looks tidy, well done, enjoy it.

AF is the Anglia reg prefix, Alan Partridge would be proud of you!

Lol.I had all the Alan Partridge jokes when I first brought the Lexus.

Yeah I'm chuffed with the car. Little hiccup that it needs a new screen thanks to the frost this morning cracked from a tiny stone chip. But hey ho, that's life, it's being fitted on Saturday.

Make sure they stick the painted side trims back on properly. There was a free recall on them at Honda, as some had broken clips and had come off at speed.

Very nice car

Looks the absolute business in white

Make sure they get rid of ALL old sealant from existing screen.

I had a nightmare as it wasn't clean fully and strip flew off on motorway, then after fixed again side strip came off as well as top strip coming off again.

When fixing correctly they had to completely strip it to get a clean bond and even had to repaint the roof. Also new side trims.

Mine was done by dealer as their fault from the start but if through insurance I'm told they only cover screen, anything else covered by you.

Hope it goes well but I'd watch them like a hawk now since my last experience

That looks great, I love the white.

Must put an 8th gen touring on my Christmas list.

B)

Congrats on your lovely and totally rare Type S in white.

Peeps go sell your grandma and get yourself an 8th gen Tourer. They are indeed lovely. I've achieved 500 miles on half a tank of fuel so far by following the old green up and down change gear now dammit arrows!