What's new

Looking to buy 2.2 Ex Auto, any tips ?

uzy89

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi

I had a 7th gen Accord 2.0 for 5 years until it was written off! Now I am looking to buy the 8th generation, seen one 2009 2.2 EX model with the auto box with about 80k miles on the clock but does have FSH.

My questions are:

Is the auto box reliable and when does the flywheel go on these things ?

Would the MPG be really bad considering it is an auto?

Anything else I should look out for when I go to view the car?

Appreciate the input from the experts.

Thanks

Hi, wouldn't say I'm an expert but have had 6th, 7th and currently got a 2009 8th gen (also had a prelude at some point in my life !!) however, it is the 2.4 petrol auto rather than the diesel. As far as mpg goes, I quite quickly get an indicated 40mpg+ on a motorway run keeping it under 80mph. Not sure about the fly wheel, I've currently got 65k and no problems yet! Happy hunting. And good luck !

Just had the flywheel and clutch replaced on my type s by Honda at 85000miles
But the type s has more bhp but same flywheel as 140bhp models so I ***ume Honda knew it was an issue hence they paid for mine
Advice from me is buy my car lol

The auto has no clutch or fly wheel so you'll have zero issues. Expect 38mpg on a run. The drive is more relaxin in an auto the paddles are brilliant. My crv is an auto petrol and it's great. I'm unsure what the diesel version is like but I'm guessing it drives the same.

Racy Jace said:
The auto has no clutch or fly wheel so you'll have zero issues. Expect 38mpg on a run. The drive is more relaxin in an auto the paddles are brilliant. My crv is an auto petrol and it's great. I'm unsure what the diesel version is like but I'm guessing it drives the same.
At last an honest man!! mine gets about the same to the gallon, but what a drive, I had a 7 diesel before, a manual got an easy 50mpg, but no comparison in any way to the 8,a far better motor.

My manual idtec accord at 190 bhp no DPF could get 55 mpg on an average run. A few times I got 63mpg. Round town it dropped to 44mpg. Auto is worse on fuel but no clutch issues so overall cost might be the same. I was after an auto diesel but the 1.6 doesn't seem as good as the 2.2. A friend has a 2.2 auto crv and got 50 mpg on a run. I get 36-39 on a run in my petrol crv if I'm lucky

The autobox in my 2010 iDTEC is the best I've ever had - and I've had many, including lots of Hondas. I get 46mpg knocking around and over 50 on a run.
That is, of course, on mostly uncongested French roads.

Many thanks for all the replies, appreciate the input.

I bought myself a 2009 i-Dtec auto with 76k miles on the clock. Its the EX model so comes with all the refinements which I am glad as it really makes all the difference.

As an added bonus, I stopped in Bradford at Premier Tuning and received fantastic service by Fahad. Got the problematic DPF removed, EGR blanked and a Stage 2 remap. The car now runs smooth with excellent power delivery at lower RPMs.

Glad you got a good one. I get no more than 40mpg from my 2.2 idtec ex auto estate. Whilst a good car it is really slow from a standing start and i have been caught out sometimes so best to rev with foot on the brake. Despite breinh good mid range it is embarrassed by the German diesels of similar capacity.