What's new

looking to buy 8th gen do I need to get dpf replaced?

firebee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi all, looking at replacing my 7th gen icdti with a 8th type s 2.2 diesel.I an however concerned that I will need to pay for a new dpf As never had a car with one of these before is this an item that will need replacing by a certain time? The car has done 80k but on last mot they said Hinda done a regen as part of mot.Is that normal or should that ring alarm bells? The car test drove beautifully and I am really up for getting the car but this dpf is making me hold back.Any opinion on this welcome.I dont want to give up my reliable 7th gen for something that has turned my head but will be a bad investment as can only get it with finance.Any help appteciated

I'd say you need to factor into your ownership cost some DPF maintenance money. Presently you'll probably get away with having it removed, in the future you may have to have it replaced. Either way it's a service item.

If you like the feel of a diesel and do the right sort of driving / distance your improved mpg will (eventually) make you more or less break even compared to a petrol. If it's already had a regen, and it's done 80K of unknown driving style miles I'd be wary. If you're a town / short run driver you might want to consider a petrol, if you're a motorway miler and the buying price is right the expense of having it cured (one way or the other) might be justifyable.

Do a search. There's tons of talk about the pros and cons. In the end you pays your money and you makes your choice...

Hi cheers Matt.my 7th is a diesel and thats faired pretty well.I do 50 miles a day driving up the a11 so it wouldnt get a bad drive.Would you happen to know what sort of price I maybe looking at for a removal?I would have a 12month warranty ar least but I think I may need to check if the dpf would be included in that.

I think Matt has already summed things up nicely for you Charly, and i've also replied to your PM. If it's had a regen recently, that DPF is almost certainly shot.

Honda typically want between £1200 - £1900 for a DPF replacement from the feedback i've heard from customers. We charge a fraction of that for a permanent solution. I had a 46k 2010 Type S in on Friday as it happens (check our facebook page), and i've got a 2012 normal IDTEC in tomorrow. Trust me, these have regular DPF issues. Once gone, it's a lovely motor.

I would be convinced if every idtec in the world was on some sort of register indicating these problems, or at least a statement from Honda saying that these "things" are a service item. Or do we have a VWGATE issue here??

Its pretty bad then if the way to fix it is what is then considered to be an illegal move.Frustrates me as its really putting me off but REALLY want the car! Does anyone have a good story with these? Does sound like I would just need to get it removed.

DPFs have always been a service item, but manufacturers thought they would last at least 120k miles in ideal circumstances.

Unfortunately misuse, wrong oil, wrong fuel, short journeys etc, finishes them off a lot quicker.

That for me makes any used diesel a liability as you are going have to budget for removal or replacement at some point.

If you look at the cost of that, it wipes out your fuel cost saving for several years.

Also removal might have implications if they tighten up the MoT emissions testing.

I am going to tackle the dealer.If they replace it I would feel much easier about it knowing my own driving style etc.Knowing its already had a regen on mot could be useful.if not then deals off I would rather a petrol in that case.