What's new

losing oil 1L per month

stuartb

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 Accord Vtec 2.0
as above, really.. losing oil, done nearly the whole lot in about a month.. I've heard said that these cars do burn oil a bit, but not that much, surely?

going on the almost non-existant information I've given, can you advise where it's going (lol)

I dunno, thinking head gasket seems ok, as no ***** in the oil and not a huge amount of smoke out the back (some.. but not dark coloured, and it's been cold recently..)

I did get the Vtec fault light up a while back, meant to test the resistances etc on the solenoid and oil pressure switch but never got round to it, then when I did an oil change the light went away.

did new oil and new filter. can't see any evidence of leaking, puddles under the car or anything like that. and for that volume of oil surely it'd be noticeable..

can anyone think of what I should look at next? just ideas, not expecting you to know immediately of course

nearly 120k mileage

belts all changed when bought 6 months ago

that is literally all I know at this point

not particularly, no, looks pretty much completely white whenever I've seen it. is there some other way of checking that, like letting it collect on a mirror or something and testing it in some way?

edit.. not mirror necessarily . must be thinking of how to check if someone is breathing haha

Actually I've checked again and I might be slightly exaggerating..

In 1 month I've gone from in between the two dots on the dipstick to just below the bottom dot

So now the question is has anyone got any idea what sort of volume that is and is that normal.

Most other cars I've owned it just stayed at the same level all year maybe one top up from the smallest size bottle

If a moderator spots this can they change topic ***le please and remove misleading bit in brackets. Cheers

It's 1L of oil between min and max

Topic changed as well bud

cheers :)

Leave it ticking over for a five minutes, then boot it, better still get someone else to boot it you stand at the back and note emmissions. Another test is to remove your foot from the pedal going down hill, so the engine is "holding" you back then as you accelerate blue smoke will be seen if you are burning it, this indicates worn valve guides or valve stem/seals need attention.

Ok Cheers ill give that a go. Will get someone to drive along behind me :)

I had similar issue, it was the crank seals, if you go underneath the car and see oil around that area and on the sump, then its the crank seals, ideally these seals should be replaced when you change the timing belts.

now that's interesting I'll have to have a look around more and check that, there is a sort of greasy film everywhere (did the drop links yesterday so had a good look around then) but I know I have two split gaiters, passenger side steering rack and driver side drive shaft ('box end.) so I was kinda blaming it on that..

with the crank seals am I right in thinking that it'd be more a problem while the engine is running, i.e. at pressure, as opposed to constant dripping? so I wouldnt notice a puddle building up on the driveway..

I'm gonna get the wheels off and do a big ol' jetwash under there today, give it a good clean out, then monitor the situation.

thanks for the tips people

My 1999 1.8 used to go from max to min maybe every 1500 - 2000 miles, and there definitely nothing wrong with it, so they do drink a bit.