What's new

loss of power

bobfish45

Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2 estate
Out in my cdti today and a strange unwillingness to go over 2500 revs developed. Pulls as normal in all the gears but goes flat at 2500 revs. Went to my friends garage but nothing showed on the diagnostics other than my vsa fault. I had a new clutch at weekend, could any wiring have come loose? Thanks Rod.

Just seen a thread advising fuel filter, I will do that tomorrow !!!

Unlikely to be fuel filter. A faulty abs sensor can cause this if the abs light is not illuminated but you have a faulty sensor that is about to trigger the light. Once the abs light is on then the system is disabled and it should no longer exhibit this problem.

if not abs then possibly intake runner control or egr, or even turbo issue. Drop me a line if you want to book for a proper diagnostic session.

Did fuel filter this morning, genuine HONDA £54 !!! and on first acceleration, BRILLIANT, back to full power, but then loss of power. It now keeps revving over 2.5k, but the power has gone after that, it will rev to over 4k but it's very flat and like I said, nothing showing on the diagnostics at 2 garages. I have no idea if something may have been dislodged during clutch replacement, but it did run ok for a couple of days, puzzling, Rod.

Does it go into limp mode? Was this happening before the clutch replacement?
If it wasn't then I don't think its the turbo.

Thanks for the replies chaps.
No, it wasn't happening before the clutch change, nor for 2 days after, it was only yesterday that it happened.
It doesn't actually go into limp mode but similar. Fullish power is there untill 2.5k revs, then, even though the revs increase slowly the power is very weak. If I change up a gear the power returns 'till I get to 2.5k again.
After changing the fuel filter this morning it was spot on for about 1 mile then came back to it's present state.
I don't know if this information suggests anything, I hope so. Cheers, Rod.

It does seem like it had something to do with the clutch because the problem occurred shortly after, but once you changed the fuel filter power returned for a very little time.

So I don't think its the clutch because your saying changing gears is fine its just lack of power.

I had a similar issue too years back, egr, dpf replaced felt great but still lacked power. Changed sensors still no power. Turned out it was the turbo all along, wastegate had jammed.

Better to get turbo checked before spending 100s on different parts.

If mechanic is good they'll be able to free up the wastegate and you should be fine. If that is the issue.

Do not go and blast the car to "free up" the turbo, I done this and blew the turbo on the motorway blue smoke in the rearview. Had to spend 100s again for new turbo.

Thanks for that, I'll get the actuator checked and report back.:)

I've only seen Mk8 engines briefly, but the wastegate mechainsm of the Honeywell unit was visible by just opening the bonnet and from the front. Unless you have something comppletely different you should catch a glimpse of it, plus the loom connector block on the top without the need of a garage.

Excuse my ignorance Channel Hopper, but is my engine a mk 8 ? My car is 57 plate .

Sadly my problem doesn't appear to be the actuator which is moving freely. It's quite infuriating because it was working so well and is quite normal upto 2.5k revs.
Are there any vacuum pipes that could be dislodged or split ? What confounds it, is that nothing is showing on diagnostics other than brake pressure sensor which has been on since before my ownership.
It makes me drive like a little old man with a flat cap:(.

Oh that's crap.

I think best thing to do is contact F6HAD. He will most likely know what the problem is.

Yes, undoubtedly it needs someone familiar with these to point the finger, thanks for your interest MrMwa, I'll post (hopefully) the solution.

To save anyone else posting possible solutions, I think the problem has been isolated. I paid a visit to Fahad yesterday and his opinion is sticking turbo vanes. The equipment he used and the time and effort he put into isolating the problem was heartwarming, he could not have done more and I was completely reassured by his obvious knowledge.
I will be doing the turbo and cracked exhaust manifold in the near future, not sure whether or not to buy a new turbo or de-carbonize this one, probably the latter, I don't think a second hand turbo would be the best idea, unless YOU know better.
Once again, don't struggle, go and see Fahad, lovely fella !!!

To save anyone else posting possible solutions, I think the problem has been isolated. I paid a visit to Fahad yesterday and his opinion is sticking turbo vanes. The equipment he used and the time and effort he put into isolating the problem was heartwarming, he could not have done more and I was completely reassured by his obvious knowledge.
I will be doing the turbo and cracked exhaust manifold in the near future, not sure whether or not to buy a new turbo or de-carbonize this one, probably the latter, I don't think a second hand turbo would be the best idea, unless YOU know better.
Once again, don't struggle, go and see Fahad, lovely fella !!!

Is there a fix for sticking vanes ?

If not is there a preventative treatment ?

There were the same issues with VAG cars and whilst I had them, I both stripped and cleaned turbo vanes and also filled the exhaust side with Mr Muscle oven cleaner which was the quick fix and usually worked. With this car I will replace the turbo and exhaust manifold together as Fahad ***ures me the engine is good.
As far as preventative treatment goes, I don't know for sure, I think it's an unwanted gift of design.

I'm glad you managed to find out the problem. Fahad is very good indeed.

Also hopefully doesn't cost you too much to sort it out.

I prefer to stay away from diesels, it was real bad the few years I owned one. Never again. :cool:

Sorry you had a bad time with diesels, I've had them now for many years and, touch wood, I've never been let down by one, that is, after I had done the inevitable work that one has to do to someone else's car because I do like my car to do what it's supposed to do.
My wife has a petrol Civic and she's sorry she no longer has the 2.2, but it was her choice, she liked the Pioneer head unit!!! and it's too complicated for her to use fully.o_O

There were the same issues with VAG cars and whilst I had them, I both stripped and cleaned turbo vanes and also filled the exhaust side with Mr Muscle oven cleaner which was the quick fix and usually worked. With this car I will replace the turbo and exhaust manifold together as Fahad ***ures me the engine is good.
As far as preventative treatment goes, I don't know for sure, I think it's an unwanted gift of design.

Thanks for your thoughts. Perhas somebody else with experience in the automotive industry has knowledge of the way carbon build up can be reduced on the Mk7s seeing most of the vehicles have gone at least once round the clock.

Since oven cleaner appears to be the last resort to unclog the vanes, would quantities of 'super pump fuel' every other month, or perhaps the Redex clone additives (not in the tank but dripped into the airbox whilst the engine is running) might have an impact on carbon build up.

Glad fahad managed to isolate the issue for you.
Must be relieved :)

Never really had any trouble with sticking turbo vanes or turbo issues on my ICTDI.

I have been running Vpower diesel all its life (8 years) and oil service every 6000 miles.
Not sure if that has helped as preventative maintenance
Currently on 230,000 miles
Purchased on 90,000 miles

Sorry you had a bad time with diesels, I've had them now for many years and, touch wood, I've never been let down by one, that is, after I had done the inevitable work that one has to do to someone else's car because I do like my car to do what it's supposed to do.
My wife has a petrol Civic and she's sorry she no longer has the 2.2, but it was her choice, she liked the Pioneer head unit!!! and it's too complicated for her to use fully.o_O

Well I guess its just personal experiences and taste really.

I drove my brothers diesel Mondeo recently wasn't really bad but just not for me.

Worst cars I drove and covered plenty of miles in was a brand new Vauxhall Mokka and Land Rover Defender. Lol

I love the high revving VTEC now!:D

Soon they'll be extinct, then it'll be all electric cars:(

Last edited:
Glad fahad managed to isolate the issue for you.
Must be relieved :)

Never really had any trouble with sticking turbo vanes or turbo issues on my ICTDI.

I have been running Vpower diesel all its life (8 years) and oil service every 6000 miles.
Not sure if that has helped as preventative maintenance
Currently on 230,000 miles
Purchased on 90,000 miles
I would think your treatment has obviously helped, and no doubt you have used the full rev range at times, which I'm sure helps. Maybe because this one has mainly had a female driver for 8 years has caused it to clog up. When I take it off I'll update details.

Well I guess its just personal experiences and taste really.

I drove my brothers diesel Mondeo recently wasn't really bad but just not for me.

Worst cars I drove and covered plenty of miles in was a brand new Vauxhall Mokka and Land Rover Defender. Lol

I love the high revving VTEC now!:D

Soon they'll be extinct, then it'll be all electric cars:(
At my age I don't think I'll be around to suffer that !!!;)