What's new

LOUD NOISE FROM REAR AFTER MOTORWAY DRIVING

flinty1975

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 tourer executive
Hi everyone, recently after a drive up the M61 a loud continuous noise is coming from the near side rear of the car, so i pulled over waited for about 10 mins whilst a rang my mechanic for advice, i then drove off using only A roads totally missing the motorway, it then stopped but again this afternoon i was using the M60 when it appeared again, if i put my foot on the break it goes, but upon lifting foot of the pedal it starts again and continues even at low speed after leaving the motorway, ive looked on here to see if anyone has had similar problems to no avail, its due in to my mechanic this week but i would like to give him some info to help him along,anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like brake binding. Could be completely worn pads, or a sticking caliper/slider.

I agree with Fahad

With the sound going when you brake the brakes are the first port of call

sounds wheel bearing to me, usual putting brakes on and it goes away is typical of a dodgy bearing as the braking loads the bearing differently.

agree with the guys sticking pads or it could be the warning spring when the pads on the limit

I had this too this week, I'm going to check the rear pads and they may use those spring type wear indicators that squeal when the pads are low....

Pads worn in my opinion with the wear indicator hitting the pad

Sounds like a sticky caliper. Only happens on the motorway as the speed inreases the temperature of the disc so it expands even more making the noise worse. On A roads you're not going fast enough to put heat into them.

Obviously I can't be 100% sure but exactly the same thing happened to me and that was the problem.

I've just had a loud noise from the rear of my tourer. Took a look at the pads and discs and found nothing, took off the calliper and disc and found the drum had shaken itself to bits and was vibrating in the drum housing. Car has been at Honda since Thursday and I still haven't got it back and probably wont until late Mon or Tuesday!!! Thats going to cost me around £300 notes!! Happy days!! Just hope that the noise you are experiencing is not the same as mine!!!!!!