What's new

Low Brake Fluid warning on constantly

benw123

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 i-CTDI EX
I've made multiple searches on TA but no luck with this! My Accord diesel is repeatedly displaying the yellow "Low Brake Fluid" warning in the instrument cluster.

To clear up the blindingly obvious issue at hand, the brake fluid level, as checked by the bulkhead in the engine bay, is absolutely rock-solid. It's just on MAX, and always has been since I topped up a little as a precaution, while braking performance is consistently perfect in the car; progressive and powerful with no issues at all.

It's an issue that has steadily got worse, too. At first, the message would come on under gentle braking, then while lifting off the accelerator bizarrely, suggesting it could be a vacuum ***istance issue, and now it pings as soon as the ignition key goes in.

I've been using the car less and less just in case, but repeated checks of the level have yielded nothing. My OBDII reader shows no faults and in any case, after switching on and off again, the yellow warnings disappear.

It could be a fluid level sensor but I can't see where this is. There doesn't seem to be any wiring around the fluid reservoir. Any ideas of where it lives? The car is a 2006/56 plate with 153k on the clock. The fluid was last changed around two years ago by a Honda dealer.

Mines a 54, diesel I have no low brake fluid light, but I do have an ABS LIGHT. Are you sure that this is what you are seeing?

Mine's a facelift, so you get the small dot matrix display which shows the low brake fluid warning. Both the VSA light and the handbrake light stay on too.

Anyone know where the level sensor is? Doesn't seem to be near the fluid reservoir, although I could be wrong.

edgeoftime said:
Mines a 54, diesel I have no low brake fluid light, but I do have an ABS LIGHT. Are you sure that this is what you are seeing?
It should come on with the park light, the red one when low

I would say you have a faulty brake fluid level sensor or damaged wiring

F6HAD said:
I would say you have a faulty brake fluid level sensor or damaged wiring
I agree Fahad - do you know where the sensor is in the car? Doesn't appear to be near the fluid reservoir, although I could be wrong.

Honestly I'm not sure but it might be part if the reservoir itself