What's new

Low idle, sometimes?

Cheddars

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Astra Twintop
Hi guys,

Strange problem with my idle, believe it may be an electrical issue but it seems to be getting worse? The annoying thing is that it's random - the worse kind of fault. It all started when I disconected the battery months ago for half an hour when I was playing about.

The problem is it will randomly idle below 500rpm, so low the gauge is at zero sometimes. I can feel the engine struggling and hear it tapping, so when it does happen something's not being lubricated. I can get around this by having the car in neutral with my foot on the accelerator gently to hold it where it should be Idleing. It's almost like a misfire but can't tell as surely it would carry on coughing when the throttle is applied? It drives as it should otherwise.

Car is well serviced, all recent ignition, icv is clean, all breather pipes clean, etc - can't think what else to check? :(

Car is a 1999 2.0 executive with the f20b6 engine. Any ideas what it could be guys?

Petrol ?

Do you know the full history , when it was left for a few months without turning over ?

You may find you have to take the whole fuel system apart as it sounds like petrol that has solidified has gummed up something in the system, not necessarily at the engine end.

try to clean folowing parts: egr, throttle body, idle air control valve

Do you have honda ❔ how did you perform re learn procedure

sent using tapatalk

Problem solved. Checked spark plugs and noticed one was covered in carbon, others were in good nick. So looked into the ignition lead for that one and it was corroded. Soaked the end in dw40 for an hour and refitted, not acted up since. Job jobbed.

Worryingly those leads are only 7k miles old, my stupid mistake getting pattern parts I spose.

Thanks for update glad all sorted

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk