What's new

Lowering my Type S

justa

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Right I'll start of by apologising for starting a thread that will have been asked before but I feel my questions are specific to me - oh and thanks to J4JAV for some great advice :)

I have never lowered a car before and generally do not like lowered cars - but there has been something bugging me about my Type S - it just doesn't quite look right. I toyed with getting different wheels but suspect its the ride height - the Accord is just to high even for me.

Now the problem is 1) a lack of cash and 2) having absolutely no knowledge of lowering cars - when I buy something I usually know a bit about it but I'm clueless !

I have read Fahad's excellent guide and have realised that due to money I am going to be limited to Coil Overs. I like the ride height og J4J4V's car but found Fahad's far too low (sorry mate!!)

I don't have the skills or confidence to fit my own - my Dad could help (he changed his on his old MR2) and I have a mate who is fairly handy - but I can see that I will probably end up paying someone to do it.

So the crux of the matter is - I live in Derby but I'm prepared to travel a couple of hours to get a good price and even more importantly good service - can anyone recommend somewhere ? J4J4V has mentioned Tein and Buddy Club are there any others ?

If I can get my mate to fix them where is the best place to buy then and what would I need to do to them afterwards ?

Sorry its a long one :(

thanks

another coilovers to choose from are bc racing, KW, H&R ;) but from all of them I think bc are the cheapest one, but it doesn't mean the worst ;)

hmm - just looked at the prices of coil overs - I cant afford those !

I thought J4V4D was talking about lowering springs - but they are obviously different !

Thanks to J4V4D I have a better understanding !

I can't afford coilover although I understand why these are the better option - so I have 2 choices, stick with what I have or go for springs and accept the compromises.

How much do you have in your budget mate?!

If we know how much you can afford to spend we can better advise you!

if you want just springs, there is wide range on the market, so you have a lot options, but probably most of peoples here will recommend eibach as these are good quality springs in decent price, apart of that you can have KW,H&R, Spax,Apex..... and many, many more ;)

budget is about £300

reading through the forum though it seems fitting lowering springs is a bit of a half arsed job !

Depends what you want. Ive had eibach springs for almost a year now and i think they are great. gives a decent drop and still comfortable and handles better. downside is the standard dampers will give sooner or later depending on the condition. my car was on around 36k miles, so i probably have another year or 2 before they hopefully.

If you want complete control of the ride height then best save up abit more and get coilovers.

Ive had eibach on my old clio sport and they were fantastic! I would have eibach again, i've had cheap springs on cheap cars previously and wouldnt touch with a bargepole. 60mm jamex on fiesta si 16v and it was horrible!

I would like to lower the accord slightly but where I park at home the exhaust is only a few mm off the grass embankment as it is :(

with that budget you can get decent springs like HR,KW or Eibach, Eibach will give you more drop then KW, HR are also lower then KW and ride is harsh and HR recommends short dampers as well, just need to decide what you expect after lowering ;)

Hey Justin, not sure I understand your thread completely..

You are limited for budget but have determined the cheapest option would be coilovers? That's actually the most expensive option but will give you most flexiblity in terms of adjusting ride height etc.

And Jav's car is much lower than mine ever was..

Cheapest bang for buck would be springs only, and I'd say go for Eibach. I do agree, the stock ride height on the Accord is too high and I think my brother is going to lower his Type S soon too for this reason.

Hi Fahad - i was hoping you would reply !

Sorry if my thread was confusing :( I was a bit confused !

I now understand the difference between coil overs and just fitting lowering springs - unfortunately I cant afford coil overs so I have 2 options - stay as it is or fit lowering springs.

I got the impression that just fitting springs was not that great an option ?

It's not a bad option mate, and I was even considering doing it on my new BMW in all honesty. As with anything in life, it's horses for courses. I've used Eibach springs in the past on other cars and can't fault them.

I would say that's your best option for someone with limited budget. It will give you the drop and much improved handling and if you keep the 17" rims, still a decent ride.

My thoughts on this topic are always - Eibachs for price, A-Spec for perfect compromise. Coillies/Teins for ultimate option

My thoughts on this topic are always - Eibachs for price, A-Spec for perfect compromise. Coillies/Teins for ultimate option
I have Eibachs springs, but I totally agree with Dan's view;) As said before, you have the options & been given sound advice there- now the ball is in your court!

well it will have to be springs then - Eibachs seem to be the best so I'll go for those - next question can anyone recommend a fitter and how much should I be looking to pay ?

thanks

The cheapest that I can find Eibach springs is form Motorsport World for £157

How much should fitting cost - can anyone recommend anywhere near Derby ?!!

I would DIY mate. If you can hold a spanner and jack up a car, you can fit these. Fitting will depend. Up north you can get it for as little as £15 a corner in some places. I would say realistically you want to pay around £25-£30 per corner and add something in the budget for 4 wheel geometry alignment a few weeks later.

thanks mate - thats great

I can hold a spanner and jack a car up but I'm still not sure - i have read somewhere about it being dangerous !

Eibach FTW!!!!!! B) B) B)

Had them for a while now and love them. They're a suitable drop and will not do too much damage to your shocks as they only compress the damper by 30mm so you won't bottom out the suspension and kill the shocks.

Will regard to fitting it can be dangerous when using the spring compressor, but if your Dad has done this before then he should be able to show you what to do.

Has anyone got any pics of their cars on eibachs maybe a before and after even??

I have some pics, but they're of my ATR not a 7th gen. Any help?

hehehe, fair play mate.

That looks really good!
Do you reckon there would be much difference in the estate? I'm tempted to buy them now…

you won't find eibach for estate ;) they are discontinued, I've been looking for them for few weeks and nothing, so if you want springs only you can go wit KW,HR,Weitec and some more, I have KW and I'm happy with them, you can check how they looks on a car in my tread ;)