What's new

Lowering options

johnnygti

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord executive
Got another set of 18" wheels for the car dare 7 spokes look sweet but car is alot higher than the original 18s i had for some reason, what kind of mm is the best for 18s for all round use? Most kits are 30mm all round but would front not need to be lower as theres auite a difference with this car?

Got another set of 18" wheels for the car dare 7 spokes look sweet but car is alot higher than the original 18s i had for some reason, what kind of mm is the best for 18s for all round use? Most kits are 30mm all round but would front not need to be lower as theres auite a difference with this car?

I don't have an awful amount of experience lowering Accords, but I would advise you to stay away from Apex springs. I had them on my 2.2 and I thought they were very poor. If you insist on buying springs I'd go with Eibach, I've never had any problems with them before now. Although I had original springs put back into my car and it is much more comfortable than when it was lowered.
You need to really consider how long you'll be spending in the car and what type of roads you'll be driving on before you do it, or it will be a waste of money if you end up getting it raised again.

mine is lowered on Apex springs. The ride is pretty much the same as standard to be honest and they are cheaper than Eibach and ride a little lower.

You cant go wrong with Apex or Eibach imo.

HondaPicturessamsungEX1014-Copy-Copy.jpg

HondaPicturessamsungEX1010-Copy.jpg

Crespo, how are the APEX springs in terms of sportiness. Do they keep the car more tight and controlled feeling through corners, making the car feel more nimble and exciting? How are they on long, straight undulations like on motorways? I've heard the Eibachs can give a little too much long bounce on motorway undulations. Wondered if the Apex are similar?

It might be worth looking into Tein Basic. They are height adjustable only. A friend of mine had them fitted to his 2002 Accord R. He also ran on 18's and the ride quality was still very good.

If budget is no issue, Eibach. May cost you extra, but you should be able to order and specify the travel & spring rate to match your coilover/dampers and how you plan to use the car. Plus, they are renown for maintaining their rate over their life compare to less expensive brands.

Many people lower their car on springs and retain original dampers which is fine, but you are asking a lot from the dampers and the ride quality suffers.

I have KONI Yellow Sport Dampers and AP Lowering Springs. The dampers are adjustable for ride stiffness and they have adjustbale perches to raise and lower the car. You don't achieve the same drop as coil-overs but who wants their **** scraping off every speed bump anyway.

Sorry for the late reply. The drop is about 35mm.

I don't seem to get the floaty feeling some others have had with Eibach's at higher speed. i do a lot of motorway miles and have felt no adverse effects.

I cant say i have ever driven an Accord on Eibachs but the Apex springs are very good. Very little difference from standard ride comfort and maybe a tad firmer but hardly noticeable to be honest.
But that is what i wanted if i am honest.

110% recommended from me. Oh and they are cheaper than Eibach and have a lifetime warranty.

Sorry for the late reply. The drop is about 35mm.

I don't seem to get the floaty feeling some others have had with Eibach's at higher speed. i do a lot of motorway miles and have felt no adverse effects.

I cant say i have ever driven an Accord on Eibachs but the Apex springs are very good. Very little difference from standard ride comfort and maybe a tad firmer but hardly noticeable to be honest.
But that is what i wanted if i am honest.

110% recommended from me. Oh and they are cheaper than Eibach and have a lifetime warranty.

Wicked man. Sounds very good to be honest. Do they make the car feel nicely tighter and more grounded through corners. My main grumble with the stock suspension is the lumbering body roll and I would like the car to be just a bit flatter and rigid through the corners. To feel a little more sporty, you know. Wouldn't mind if the overall ride was a little firmer and bumpier.

Surely it is the shocks that people should really think about in terms of handling rather than the springs? Springs have to boing up and down but it is the shocks that do the complicated work of controlling how the spring moves (compression & rebound rates). Obviously the springs have some effect on handling but unless there's something fundamentally wrong with what Honda are turning out I can't imagine that changing the springs alone will make the Accord handle better.

My experience is from motorbikes though so happy to be told I'm wrong.

Springs have their own specifications on weight (probably stifness) and that can influence how they react to the shocks. It's much of a joint work.

I think we need to know how many miles your shocks have done?

In terms of lowering (Springs only)
Eibach are great

but if you need to repalce your shocks
Tein (great kit, I have the comfort sport and they do everything I ask of them!)
A Spec (I found to hard and it did not drop the front as much as liked!)
BC Racing (great value for money and have read some very good reports on them)

Dont buy then springs if your shocks are knackered!

Springs have their own specifications on weight (probably stifness) and that can influence how they react to the shocks. It's much of a joint work.
Springs will have a strength (so what weight they can carry) and rate (so how stiff they are), but they don't really react to the shocks - they just compress and uncompress at whatever spring rate they were made at and depending on what forces are allowed through them by the shocks. Once the spring is made it doesn't change other than to wear out. But the shocks job is allowing or resisting movement in the springs depending on the frequency and magnitude of the force.

It is joint work but it's the shocks that do the clever bit in controlling how the spring works.

I find the ride on mine a tiny bit firmer but not a whole lot if i am honest.

If you are after better handling you really need to be looking at dampers as well.

Ok got the springs on looks superb and drives very smooth no scrapes until 45mph the steering wheel starts shaking very annoyingly!

Could the traction and balancing be affected so heavily ?

Ok got the springs on looks superb and drives very smooth no scrapes until 45mph the steering wheel starts shaking very annoyingly!

Could the traction and balancing be affected so heavily ?

Sounds like your wheels need balancing.

How could the balance be off when the car is lowered though as wheels obviously dont get balanced on a car? They were perfect before the springs were fitted, im thinkin the actuall trackin?

Hey bud after lowering your car its always a good idea to get the alignment done as its probably out by a bit,as your there getting this done, its a good idea to get the wheels balanced just to sort of rule out foul play ...

Yeah lowering springs without other suspension component upgrades can pull the top of the wheel inwards and affect things like camber, which in turn can affect other things, so it's always worth getting a full balance and alignment done after lowering.

Just want to clear one thing that I have in mind so would appreciate your help guys.

I'd like to get 18" wheels on my 2.2 iCDTi in combination with Eibach lowering springs. Is there something I should watch out for to be clear i.e. particular offset so I am clear from the arches?

I've got Apex lowering springs (think they are the same drop as Eibach) and running 8x18 Mazda RX8 alloys, offset is et40 and tyres are 225/40/18. No issues at all with clearance, scrubbing, etc.

I've got Apex lowering springs (think they are the same drop as Eibach) and running 8x18 Mazda RX8 alloys, offset is et40 and tyres are 225/40/18. No issues at all with clearance, scrubbing, etc.
Cheers Luke, just the answer I was looking for.
How do you find the ride? Isn't it compromised a bit too much by this setup? Or do you find it comfortable enough?

Cheers Luke, just the answer I was looking for.
How do you find the ride? Isn't it compromised a bit too much by this setup? Or do you find it comfortable enough?

I find the ride perfectly fine, it has firmed up quite noticably, but it's by no means uncomfortable or crashy.

Well, I've had my apex on for about 7 months now. I do feel my shocks are becoming a bit fatigued now. The Eibach's give a 30-35mm whereas the Apex is 35-40mm drop. Might not sound a lot, but I think that extra 5mm is putting extra load on the stock shocks and they will inevitably go quicker than with Eibachs.

I might over the next few months upgrade my shocks. Not all at once as that's a lot of money, but maybe do my fronts first and the rears the month after or something. But maybe it's just that thing of how you get used to a mod and want something else after a while to further extend the personalised/modified feel of the car :rolleyes: .

I've not experienced any issues yet, they been fitted for about 5 months and have covered about 5k miles. I was a bit worried that may happen at some point, but if and when it does I think I'll splash out on coilovers.