What's new

major help needed

Good news. Allows you to get into the meat of the job.

sump off and chains changed this weekend anything particular i should consider ??

car now going back together if anyone is thinking of doing this job i now have all the tools you need to do it and i will happily loan them to anyone close by that needs them

broke injector clamp bolt grrrr any great ideas would be most welcome absolutely fuming

Is any of it visible once the clamp and injector are out of the way?

If so, you may be able to weld another bolt to it if you have access to an arc welder.

If it's in the hole, then maybe a dremel will let you get a pilot hole into it to allow you to use an easy out?

its snapped of at the start of the threads which is way down in the engine the only option i can think of is drilling it out but i am open to other ideas

They're only m6 too from memory aren't they?

I'd take the rocker box off and get a better look at it. You may be able to expose some threads like that, and it could well be the best way of getting it drilled for an easy out. At least there'll be no tension on the remaining bolt (***uming it hasn't bottomed out on a load of debris in the hole)

Hope you get sorted keep up updated

sent using tapatalk

Goodluckmonkey said:
They're only m6 too from memory aren't they?

I'd take the rocker box off and get a better look at it.
Yes I would definitely want to use a drill stand rather than chancing it free hand. Or take it to an engineering shop to have it drilled out.

The bolts go through the rocker box and into the head.
If you take the head off, a new head gasket's something like £180 for a diesel.

OK Matt I misunderstood, I thought the bolt had broken in the rocker box :blush: . With luck when the rocker box is off there will be some bolt showing to get at.

I know exactly what you meant, and totally agree if that was the case.
With a pillar drill you can usually drill out the bolt, then wind out the thread like a little spring.

Either way, hope this works out for him OK.

pillar drill would need setting up just so i am thinking more along lines of reverse drill bit with something around the shaft so it fits snuggly into hole thus keeping it centered and as it has only just been put in i hope it isnt too tight so with reverse drill bit and a bit of luck

In case it helps ...
When I was struggling to free some injectors in a Civic engine the same clamp bolt snapped. I took the head to a trusted engineering shop and the fellow there told me that what he often does in this situation is to drill out the entire hole and re thread for an 8mm bolt.
Maybe there is a reason why Honda put the 6mm threaded section deep in the head, probably there is, but from what my engineering fellow said it suggests the upper part of that hole would also be useable, once threaded, to hold a bolt?
I imagine you could do this with the engine as it is, ie with the head cover off but the head on. The existing unthreaded hole will act as your guide to keep the drill bit 'vertical', and if the correct sized drill bit (NOT 8mm but correctly sized for your future 8mm tap, I'm sure you know this) will reach that far you will drill out the broken 6mm stub and be threading your new 8mm bolt into that deep metal anyway.
What do there think?
Tim M

The bolt they use is a stretch bolt, and admittedly should ideally only be used once (but I've reused mine) hence it's small size.
Think part of this is to ensure that the bolt stretches upon installation so that it can maintain the fit between the injector and its copper seat once it's heat cycled a few times.

Shouldn't really be any issue with using an m8 provided it's not overtorqued. I'd be inclined to keep the engine cover off and check it a couple of days later if I'd have gone this route. Same as you used to do with head bolts.

yep i follow your thinking i will try to drill out the original bolt this weekend but if i dont like the way its going i will go the m8 route

well the drilling and tapping went sort of ok i started by drilling 2.5mm first and working my way up i tried to use a left handed drill bit to hopefully twist what was left out but no joy so i then tried a bolt extractor and sure enough i broke it should of known better so now i had a super hard tip of the extractor stuck in there as well not a great day but with i bit of searching i found that i could use dremmel with a chainsaw sharpening bit. i went through 3 of these but sure enough got through then continued with drilling bolt out until i could use m6 long tap so finally all done

Sounds stressful, but at least it's resolved at last. Well done.