What's new

Malfunction Indicator Light

Phil B

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Acord Tourer
Hi, I am new to this forum, so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask such a question but, basically, the Malfunction Indicator Light is showing on the dash of my Accord Tourer and I'd like to know if this is something I can fix myself (my first two cars were Fiats, so I know a thing or two about kerbside fixes!). Along with the MIL light showing, the engine seems to be struggling at low revs while ticking over - almost as if it's about to stall.
All ideas gratefully received. Normally I would take it to my garage. But typically this has happened on New Years Eve, so nobody will be open for days.
Cheers,
Phil B

Hi Phil,

What car is it? Year, fuel, spec, auto/manual, service history, previous faults etc... This will help us get to the bottom of things. Do you have a code reader? Or can you get the codes read for cheap by a local mechanic. Then we go from there once we know what the code is.

Hi Phil,

What car is it? Year, fuel, spec, auto/manual, service history, previous faults etc... This will help us get to the bottom of things. Do you have a code reader? Or can you get the codes read for cheap by a local mechanic. Then we go from there once we know what the code is.

Thanks very much. The car is a Honda Accord Tourer, VTEC, petrol automatic. 1999 model I think. There have been no previous faults and I don't have a code reader.

Thanks very much. The car is a Honda Accord Tourer, VTEC, petrol automatic. 1999 model I think. There have been no previous faults and I don't have a code reader.
Hi Phil you need to get the codes read 1st thing then we can ***ist you with the problem and hopefully a fix :)

I'm confused that you appear to have a '99 Accord Tourer... I'm pretty sure the Tourer versions were only 2003 onwards?

This thread has advice on reading DTCs without a code reader... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/15136-fault-codes-trick/page__pid__165703#entry165703

Is it a hatchback, saloon or estate? There is no Tourer for the 1999, the tourer is a fancy name for the estate version of Accords from 2003 and onwards.

Thanks for all the help. I was completely wrong about the year and it is a 2005 Tourer. I never was any good at maths!
I have seen a mechanic and he said to replace one of the coil packs. I have done this and the engine sounds healthy again but the MIL light is still on. Is this normal? Or do I have to reset the MIL somehow?

You will need a code reader to reset the codes

Thanks. I have seen a few fix tips on YouTube - mainly about disconnecting the battery. Worth a try?

Thanks. I have seen a few fix tips on YouTube - mainly about disconnecting the battery. Worth a try?
Yes, normally this will clear the MIL... but won't delete the stored DTC. Not sure about your ECU, but - once the fault condition has been corrected - the MIL usually clears after the engine has been through a few warm-up and cool-down cycles.