What's new

manifold and turbo removal

bobfish45

Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2 estate
I started removing the exhaust manifold and turbo on my 2.2 tourer today, what a ******* job ! The manifold has the well known leak and turbo vanes need cleaning.
It is, for me a monstrous job, I have never known nuts to be so tight and so truly inaccessible, thank heavens it will only be getting done once. Think I might go back to Audi !!!:eek:

just wait until you have to reattach the oil feed line to the turbo :)

We’re talking about two different cars here.. bobfish has an older ictdi. It’s definitely a pig of a job, good luck!!

My apologies Bob, ***umed wrongly that you had the same car as mine even when it was posted in the 7th gen section, Doh!

Further to my turbo removal, the 10mm bolts around the hot side were proving difficult, so I thought,"I'll let the experts do it", and took it to Manchester Turbos. They said they would refurbish it for £275 which I thought was good. Imagine my surprise when the phoned me later in the day telling me there was nothing wrong with the unit ! They stripped it, cleaned it and re calibrated it all for £50 ! How many companies would have confessed to that ? Also what a testament to Honda that a 215k turbo is still in good nick, very impressed. :)

So, the leak was the sole cause of the original fault ?

You've now got the joy of reassembly (and not breaking anything).

No, the leak comes from around the ports on the exhaust manifold, they're welded all round on the inside and this is the part that fractures and so delivers exhaust gases into the cabin when stationary with the engine running. I've welded another manifold completely around the outside, and just for the fun of it, ported all the exhaust manifold ports.
The problem that Fahad diagnosed was probably sticking vanes, so when the cleaned turbo is refitted, and all vac pipes renewed, hopefully I should be a happy man, Fahad tested everything else and all was good. To be continued..........

Let’s hope that fixes it now mate. If they’ve cleaned and checked the vanes then fingers crossed you’ve got a good result ad cheaply too :)

All done now:D. it wasn't as bad reassembling it all, just steady away and the results have made it worth it. The problem with acceleration beyond 2.5k revs seems to have gone, there is no smell of exhaust in the car when stationary and my dash tells me I'm getting 42.6 mpg at the moment all around town at present. It will be nice if it stays that way.
Whilst here, anyone changed their a/c compressor? Is it relatively reachable, all the u tube examples seem to be petrol. Many thanks, Rod.

That’s great news Rod, so it was just sticking vanes in the end as suspected?

I wasn't sure at first Fahad, and was almost scared of flooring it, so just treated it gently for a couple of days, but floored it today and it went well, so, as nothing else has been changed it had to be that.
Or maybe it was the porting of the exhaust ports, LOL :rolleyes: .

I’m sure porting the manifold might have helped but that issue you had was definitely a sticking turbo, glad it was a cheap fix.

I was only joking about the porting Fahad, I know exhaust porting has minimal effect.I only did it to try out my new burrs and have spent ever since being agitated by the amount of miniscule filings in my hands.!!!

I was only joking about the porting Fahad, I know exhaust porting has minimal effect.

On a turbocharged system yes, but Honda spent the 80's developing the perfect porting on normally aspirated engines, combining ATACs to their two stroke racers followed by power valves for the Ottos.

I think all the Japanese 2 strokes had a lot to thank Ernst Degner for. Without him they might never have got so far so soon.